SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

Soliciting input on counter for *this* sink-pics

deedles
12 years ago

(I'm really sorry about the huge pics. I've tried and tried to re-size them in PB but it never seems to take.)

I have purchased a copper sink recently from Rachiele. (Sorry Lavender Lass, big green won't be installed in our new kitchen :(

It will be this style apron front but the coloration won't be as bright... more muted with greens to pull in the stove.

Anyway. Since the sink is undermount, been thinking along the lines of quartz or corian. If quartz, would you avoid something with what you all call 'movement' and go more static. Corian doesn't really offer anything with movement, does it?

Also, currently leaning toward red painted cabs. Any thoughts of a color for either type of those counter tops?

Thank you in advance!

Comments (30)

• dan1888
    12 years ago

You may also want to consider soapstone.

Here is a link that might be useful: bucks county soapsstone

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the soapstone idea, I love soapstone however I don't want the upkeep. Not very good at upkeep unfortunately.

• Related Discussions

Apron sink set back into counter?Pics anyone?

Q

Comments (5)
    Great. Your sink base is recessed just like I envisioned mine to be. I just plan on having the front of the sink flush with the sink base front with a lip at the bottom for drips and no cabinet doors on the sink base since I have to leave it open for the cast iron radiator that will be under it. BTW, love your drawer pulls. Where do they come from? Thanks
    ...See More

metal countertop with farm/apron sink? pics?

Q

Comments (13)
    Claybabe, You are a goddess! Forgive the delay in response, I just caught up with mail and had missed this post on the forum. YES, those are exactly perfect and VERY VERY helpful! I can't thank you enough! These, along with the thread in the metalworking forum, should give us ample inspiration to go on. Was there a reason you decided to notch out the counter where it hit the sink, rather than leave it full thickness? Aesthetics or other? It looks fantastic, I must say. Do you know what substrate was used? We templated our mdf/plywood substrate this week, copper sheet purchase is next week. Starting to get excited! PS: Here's the stainless counter from the sink gallery:
    ...See More

Need input: gap at end of counter before adding backsplash

Q

Comments (10)
    Hi a2gemini, Holy cow--your first counter actually avalanched on the way to your house?! Egads, that must have been an awful feeling. I'm glad that you had a great job after that! I live in northern Massachusetts. From all of my reading of GW, I should have known better than to go with the stone guys that we ended up with. It was one of the areas of the project where I got too tired of wrangling with other members of the family and took the path of least resistance. (And while I don't normally take that path, at the time, I was too exhausted to argue that we should look for another estimate/opinion on which stone contractor to go with. As my brother says "sometimes my life is just a lesson to others of what *not* to do!") --Lee
    ...See More

Mismatched Kitchen Counter-tops

Q

Comments (35)
    Heatheron40, very nice. I asked a question about doing a tile countertop in our guest cabin recently as I feel like the look would complement the cabin aesthetic. Also I’m dying to learn to tile and thought it would be a fun place to start as it’s not an everyday space and I could take my time. Most of the responses were against. Basically stating the grout would make me crazy. The guy at the said what you’re saying I think, he said that modern grouts are more resistant to staining and such, and also to go with a tinted grout of some sort. I love your use of pattern to give it interest and intention!
    ...See More
  • lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Oh, no...there's (sob!) no green sink???

Actually, I think your copper sink is a wonderful match, for your stove. I'm not so sure about the red cabinets, though. With that pretty copper, what about wood cabinets (at least for the lowers around the sink) and a black formica/Corain/quartz (looks like soapstone) countertop?

Still using the rooster wallpaper, right? So, what about some splashes of red and yellow, on the open shelves or uppers? And I can't remember...are you putting chicken wire, anywhere? Maybe on the pantry? That would be kind of cool :)

• poohpup
    12 years ago

Can you post a picture of your rooster wallpaper again? I think you can do the red cabinets but I don't think I'd put the sink in a red cabinet. Maybe have the sink in a darker wood cab and red uppers or red cabs on either side of the sink?

You could incorporate chicken wire in glass cabs. That would be cool.

Ask Dino his opinion. He may have some ideas for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bendheim Cabinet Glass

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I like Jasmine. I don't know if it would be too much with red cabinets, though.

That copper verdigris tends to be more turquoise than chartreuse, so it will look nice with your gorgeous range but not similar. Will you have more chartreuse in the kitchen?

I had a tough time finding a red that looked good with my copper. The copper looks pinkish when it's clean, orange-rusty when it starts to get a patina, and then dark brown when the water spots get thick enough. I finally went with a muted dark dusky red rather than my original farmhouse red idea.

I love your stuff. Can I see the rooster wallpaper?
    Renee

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for taking it like a champ, Lav. :)

And here is the chicken wallpaper again:

I've been thinking that after the cabs and everything are in... THEN I'll post pics of various backsplash options including the chickens and see what you guys think. I was wondering if the chickens would even work with that sink?

I have a couple red door samples and both look pretty great next to the stove and so far I've looked at many samples of birch and now cherry (ordering sample boxes from Cabinet Authority)and honestly none of those two woods are grabbing me. Figured I'd wait for the sink to arrive to really be able to judge cab stain/colors.

Now, since we're on wallpaper... I've kinda fallen in serious like with this stuff from Bradbury. I thought with wood stained cabs it might be neat to put this between the uppers and the ceiling with some LED lighting up there. Whatcha think?

Course, that'd be the end of the chickens......
    '

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hosenemesis: (is that garden hose or panty hose or neither?) The gal at Rachiele said she could get some green pretty close to the stove (I sent a pic) and the other greens to be complementary. I told her a teeny bit of blue is okay and she assured me she could pull it off... we'll see I guess. Did you get a sink from them? I'd love to see a pic of your sink and cabs if you have one handy.

I thought with painted cabs one could also go with a wood counter top, too?

• Mizinformation
    12 years ago

Deedles: I heart your love of color. Keep with it! You are one fun chicken. IMHO, the Bradbury goes much better with the sink than the cluck clucks. The Bradbury is very Arts & Crafts, and the chickens are more whimsy/country. In my mind, that Bradbury type usually goes mid-wall, like between a plate rail and a picture rail, but it could work near the ceiling. I'd go with a less busy, more solid countertop, such as the wood you suggest. Your range will pull out the green from the paper, so maybe something in the brown to buff to gold range for counter? Love the red cabs.

• melissastar
    12 years ago

The Rachiele sink is gorgeous. Seems like you're going a very different direction from first thoughts? Less vintage, more...um...craftsman-ish? I can't see the chicken wallpaper with the copper sink, but I think it would look gorgeous with the new paper.

Question for you: How thoroughly have you examined the "care" issue with soapstone? I don't mean to be pushing you to something you have already considered thoroughly and rejected, but I know there are a LOT of misconceptions out there about how much care soapstone takes.

I find my soapstone counters virtually carefree. They are not, however, pristeen perfect. If that's what you want, you're right to steer clear. But if it's really just upkeep, make sure you really get the inside scoop on what's NOT involved before you reject them as taking too much care. (No need to wax or oil, no need to seal...virtually stain and burn proof). They'd look spectacular with the vintage stove and the rachiele sink.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I don't have the copper sink in the kitchen- it's in the bath. The kitchen has copper pots etc. I love copper! Especially with green and red and yellow.

I adore my butcher block counters. I have lived with tile, formica, and granite, and I prefer the butcher block by far. Easy to clean and maintain, warm to the touch, pretty, reasonably priced and easy to install. Here are a few photos. We left the one between the range and the sink unfinished and chop on it. We tiled around the sink and in the bay window. I have my rooster painting on the wall:)
    Renee

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Miz: Sounds like you're getting my drift. Yeah, when I decided on the sink, I felt like it moved the kitchen to a more specific direction away from the whimsical and towards the craftsman-ish. I DO still love the chickens but I really don't feel them with this sink anymore. Sounds like you think wood is a good option.
    Melissa: At one time I almost went with soapstone in my current kitchen but DH ruled it out r/t weight on our old cabs (which were probably built better than lots of newer cabs). The oiling part kinda put me off and I do like the look of it oiled rather than not. And somehow, I'm feeling something lighter in color in this kitchen... not sure why. That could change, too!

Hose: What a friendly kitchen! Are those knotty pine cabs? Very pretty! And I would like to browse through your glass front cabinets, too! Is that a Hall teapot I see up there? I do like the idea of wood since I can get drainboard grooves in it and I thought wood cabinets and wood counters would be too much but now after looking at yours I see that isn't true at all.... nice!

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

I'd prefer a coordinating contrast to the cabs that allows the range to be a standout piece on its own. I really like the Jasmine quartzite hosenemesis posted with your selections of red cabs, sink & stove in the thread. The wallpaper is so cute & that sink is gorgeous! You are going to have one dynamite kitchen!!!

On resizing pics on PB--click 'save a copy' instead of 'replace original' after resizing. Then when you go back to your album, the newly resized pic will be the first one in the queue--that's the one you want to copy the HTML code for posting.

Hope this helps!

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mydream: I was at an Ikea a couple months ago and when we entered the counter top area, I grabbed the one I liked best and it was the Jasmine. It's really pretty. I should get a sample and see what it looks like next to the stove...
    Thanks for the tip... I'll give it a try. That might be the one thing I haven't tried.

• 1929Spanish
    12 years ago

@deedles - I just put a deposit down on Corian Rain Cloud today - it does have movement, but is not warm enough to go with your sink. With such a beautiful sink, I'd be inclined to go with something natural. I'd fear that quartz would look "fake" next to all that beautiful copper. I would also want to manage the movement in the counters since the movement in the apron front makes such a statement.

I'm also wondering what you are trying to feature in your kitchen - the sink, range, cabinets, wallpaper (which is quite cute)? Lots of competing ideas going on here.

I love ensemble casts in Woody Allen movies, but not so much in kitchens. Perhaps you can go with a butcher block counter/copper sink/colored cabinets, or stained cabinets/copper sink/soapstone? Of course, with all the darker colors I'm wondering if that beautiful range will then get lost?

@Poohpups - I love that glass, but was bummed when I clicked on the link to find out it was almost $49 per square foot....oh well....

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

1929: I guess I'm not really trying to feature any one thing... I'd just like to have a kinda 'unique' kitchen with some unusual elements that all work together. I do tend to buy what I like and then throw it together. The sink was an unexpected purchase for sure... but I thought if the patina was muted way down with some green coloration it would be neat looking with the stove.

I'm taking your observation to heart about staying with a natural material for a counter top. I never thought of it like that but I think you may be right, so
    I've requested an estimate on some antique heart pine for a counter. Thanks!

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

deedles --
    love the copper sink, but sad if the chickens don't fit, since they seem much more "you" than the wallpaper, which takes it into a more stylized arts&crafts direction. (Too precious perhaps for your other tastes?)

Butcher block counter would be ideal. [I'd say you might consider copper counters, too -- you can get them lacquered so that they don't change color and are easy-care, but if you're not doing them DIY they're probably very pricy. But on reflection, nah, actually you'll probably want something more unitone given the sink.]

The inside of your Rachiele sink will change color and patinate to about this (these are my copper counters), so remember that you'll have a darker brown in the overall mix as well:

Also: have you considered stainless? It's probably the most bulletproof of all countertop substances and would be lovely with the chrome on your stove. In my kitchen I find that the copper tops and stainless appliances actually work very nicely together.

I LOVE the red, perhaps because it was working so well in the photoshopped mood boards of your earlier threads.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

PS: Renee, that is one truly gorgeous kitchen! I think that your sink-at-full-corner-window is probably my all-time TOP favorite kitchen design; it featured in all my inspirational clippings. Did it already exist or did you expand on original windows? The red walls are perfect. Yum. Thanks so much for sharing the photos.

• 1929Spanish
    12 years ago

I like the butcher block as well.

I'm in an old house and building out a new space and trying to be sensitive to the era in a current space without creating a 1920's kitchen. I haven't followed all of your posts, so I'm not sure what era you home is from. So take the next suggestion with this background in mind...

I would just remind you that your range came from a more simple time. IMHO - to place something so substantial from a simple era with lots of not-so-simple stuff gets away from the whole point of why things from that time are still beautiful.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

If you do Corian, I'd like Rosemary best with that stove, sink and with the rooster paper....

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosemary

• dianalo
    12 years ago

BTW - you really need to see a sample, preferably a large one to see the real pattern to the Corian. I have Rain Cloud and it looks nothing like what is shown on the website. Mine is much more mellow than their pix, and the installed one we chose it from is like ours and not the web version either. When we got the sample, we panicked a little, but then brought the sample to the installed kitchen and saw that it just does not represent well on a small piece. On the sample, it looked more speckly and like it had less pattern than IRL, yet online shows more pattern than IRL. Seeing it on a counter is your best bet.
    If the Rosemary does not work for you, try the Witch Hazel too. I could see it working with your choices too, just in a lighter tone than the Rosemary. It is the browner version of our counters.
    Our Rain Cloud could work with your stove and wallpaper perfectly. I'd have to see their toned down version of the sink to know if it would work with that. There are faint elements of taupe/rust in the RC, which is predominantly white/gray/black. Again, if you could see a larger sample, you'd know better. Here is a pic of our counter. There is more taupe/rust than you can see in this shot IRL.

• ILoveRed
    12 years ago

I know you are not asking about cabinet advice, but I just love your sink and range. I can see these beauties with quarter sawn oak.

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, even if the chickens don't end up on the backsplash... I will find a way to put them somewhere... maybe just on the inside of the pantry?

Maybe what I'll do is wait for the sink to show up, and then get a pic of the sink by my stove AND with the 2 red sample doors that I have AND by that time, I'll have my sample of the Bradbury paper and I do have the chicken paper and we'll all get a good dang look at what's here.

I have to say that both the red samples really make that stove pop in a way that the stained wood samples just don't.
    Way back I was exhorted to consider painted cabs and I didn't want to but it's looking like good advice...

After I had to do a major tap dance for my husband over the price of the sink, I mean it was 'shuffle off to buffalo' and 'exit stage left' and everything... I don't know WHAT kind of dance I'd have to do for a copper counter. I'm probably too old for whatever it'd be anyway :).

My thoughts on stainless are this: excellent choice in so many respects but here's what has occurred to me: I'm a nurse and I've worked on stainless counters everywhere for 30 years including my current job in a prison. I'm thinking when I retire in a few years, I'm going to not want any reminders of institutions in my house. Just my thoughts and probably not valid but it has occurred to me...

One thing I'm sure of: I'll be hearing "well, not to be (fill in the blank) but if we can spend 3,000 dollars for a sink......" I've actually already heard it once since I bought the thing 5 days ago.

Oh, the quartersawn oak: love it but I'm working in a knotty pine house and the kitchen ceiling will be knotty pine stained in 'pecan', so that also leans me towards the painted cabs now.

• Debbi Branka
    12 years ago

I think when I read your last post (which I have no idea how to search for now), I recommended red cabinets. I'm SO EXCITED that you chose them! I think they will be gorgeous with your stove! That Jasmine counter top above looks like it might match very nicely. The butcher block counters (above kitchen GORGEOUS!) seem like they might be a good idea too. Can't wait to see all the ideas put together!

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Deb: I wasn't sure who suggested it but if you did, thanks! Turns out to be a good call. The Rosemary is pretty and is the Jasmine but like I said, probably seeing the sink in real life will help point the way to the right counter choices.

Today I chose radishes, spinach, lettuces and peas and stuck them in the garden! This beautiful weather is calling me outside...

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Deedles- click on my username for the story on the hose. Heh heh.

Your range is definitely the star in my view. It's absolutely unique and it's in my very favorite color in the world.

I would love to see those red cabinets with wood knobs and butcher block and your copper sink, especially with your ceilings. What kind of floor do you have?

My cabs are pine- hand made in Mexico. And yes, that is a Hall teapot. What an eye you have!

Circuspeanut, I am flabbergasted. Your kitchen takes my breath away. Thank you to you and Deb for the compliments. I live for them :) I started with the bay window, which was torn out of a house by a contractor friend, then my dad bought me the side window to match. The kitchen wall followed, and one thing led to another...

Renee

• poohpup
    12 years ago

Deedles, I can totally see butcher block counters in your kitchen! I think that would look awesome! Your kitchen is so fun. I love hearing about your ideas and seeing what you're pulling together.

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hose: Haha to your name! I'm with you on that... my garden hose has tried to kill me numerous times. If I never drag another garden hose around.....
    The floor will be linoleum... the real stuff not vinyl. I'm playing around with some kind of diagonal checkerboard or something. Maybe not checkerboard but at least 2 colors.. right now it's 'coffee' for one and the other not sure yet. Maybe some version of a cream color? I have time for deciding that. Heck, I have time for all this as DH has decided his back can't keep up the pace so we need to sloooww down a bit and I do agree with him. It ain't lookin' like my Christmas tree will be in this house this year.. but, who knows?

Pooh: Thank you for saying that... that's way better than "you've changed your mind again?" I feel a little bad that I change my mind so much, like I'm wasting people's time or something. Yeah, wood counters are seeming more and more like the thing to do. I have a chunk of antique heart pine counter top from Elmwood lumber and it's so, so beautiful.

• LMM170
    12 years ago

"hose" your kitchen is gorgeous. My aunt has had wood tops in her kitchen for over 30 years and loves them. She just uses mineral oil to care for them. I wish I had thought of putting at least one area of wood top in my kitchen. "Deedles" what a nice job you are doing! Love your range. I too have a Rachiele sink, so make sure you don't feel bashful about discussing what you are looking for with Lori, their artist. I think I drove her crazy, but she always made me feel like my project was her top priority. She was working on another sink that she said she had to adjust the patina 10 times before it was exactly what the customer wanted. That made my 6 times make me feel a bit better. Apparently, the rustic patinas have a mind of their own. I am glad I waited the extra few days as I got exactly what I wanted. In my project, as in many, everything was delayed. It seemed at the time that I should rush to make decisions so I would not slow up the process. I stuck to my guns and the extra weeks are now a faint memory. The good that came from it is a constant reminder that I did the right thing. This forum is wonderful. Thank you all.

• deedles
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LMM, thanks for that info on the sinks. I spoke with Lori and she described the process but I haven't received any emails with pictures yet. I'll remember what you said and make sure I love it. How do you like your sink? Have you the 'smart sink' with the grid etc? or regular? Is the drain in the corner actually a bonus idea or doesn't it make much difference? I agree, this forum is wonderful!

• LMM170
    12 years ago

Hi Deedles,
    Yes, I have the sink with the grid and cutting boards. Much to my surprise, the corner drain was a bigger deal than I had anticipated. The idea seemed like it made sense, however, when put in use it makes me wonder why all sinks are not designed like this. It is hard to describe how much more useful the sink is. It is one of those things that is so natural to use that you hardly notice it until you use another persons sink. Then you realize what a pain it was to have a drain in the middle of the sink I use cookie sheets quite a bit and now I can wash them in the sink without making a mess. I love the grid and cutting boards, but I think the best part is the corner drain. I can't wait to see your sink!