SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ironwill_gw

Cleaning up Someone's Ipe Mess

ironwill
17 years ago

I am a paint and staining contractor with no experience when it comes to covering ipe decks. I am looking at a 700sq ft ipe deck for restaining. The deck was stained with TWP116 last year by the paint contractor who had just covered the exterior of the home. Customer was dissatisfied because the builder's pencil marks are visible through the stain, the stain was applied too thick, and there are many drips along risers, etc. Customer subsequently had the same painting contractor go back and try to sand out the pencil marks, excess, etc., and try again. They actually sanded the entire thing by hand in about two days, but basically it is a mess. Customer was fed up with the whole thing and called me to find a solution, which I am confident I can do if I ask the right people the right questions. I have spent over two hours fishing the posts for info. It has helped me a lot.

My questions are:

1. How should I clean up the surface of the deck: belt sander, by hand, chemicals, etc. I don't want to take off too much material because I don't want to run into the problem of shining up the screws.

2. Should I use the same product after prepping the surface?

3. Why do I exist?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH