SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pmacbee_gw

Tips for Painting Furniture a Patina'd Black?

pmacbee
14 years ago

We have a nice, solid five drawer polished wood dresser (I'm guessing walnut) that I'd estimate was made sometime in the 40s or 50s. It's kind of heavy and formal and just not my style, although the shape is nice. I DO need a dresser to put in a misty green bedroom that I expect will have black and white (or maybe cream and charcoal) accents. I'd love to paint this dresser a soft black, maybe rubbed to show an undercoat of pewter gray. I have NO experience of painting furniture, though. What kind of paint do I use? The pewter gray undercoat I have in mind is a BenMooore interior paint color--can I use that, presumably in an oil base, or is there a specific furniture grade paint I should/could have tinted to match? Anybody have favorite black paints for what I've seen referred to as this "Ballardized" (love that phrase!) kind of soft patina? What do I need to know about prepping the piece for painting? I know, that's so huge--I know I at least need to thoroughly sand and wipe it. Do I need to use a chemical stripper? Do I need a power sander? I assume I should prime it? With what? Are there classic rookie mistakes I should know about?

This is a big question and I'm sure this isn't a new one, but I haven't been able to find a thread that covers it in detail. Directions to existing threads in this or other forums gratefully received, as well as outside sources. Thanks in advance--you guys are always my first (and usually last) source of advice.

Comments (7)