SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherine07_gw

Need help with decorating chest in foyer

catherine07
16 years ago

I just moved this chest into my foyer but have no idea what to put on it to make it look nice. I am hopeless at this sort of thing. I have a picture over it but I can change the picture and change any of the thing on the chest- although I do like the pitcher but could change the flowers that are in there to something else. Thanks so much- I've been reading this forum for a few years but have never posted!

sorry pics are sideways. I changed the orientation in photobucket but it didn't seem to take.

Catherine

Comments (36)

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

What a gorgeous chest, Catherine! The first thing that comes to my mind when I look at these pics, though, is that the entire area is very monochromatic: beige and brown. I'd switch out the pic and move whatever you replace it with over farther to the right a bit more. The picture is too monochromatic and , IMHO, I think that chest deserves a more dramatic framed picture. Find a stack of 3 black books to put the lamp on. It'll give the lamp added height and punch up the color and weight there, as well. Instead of the crystal and brown floral thing, how about a colorful-but-classy low bowl or planter with some greenery or ? in it, on the right side of the chest? The arrangement you have there now adds nothing to the area, and it's height is competing with the picture and the lamp. With such a gorgeous chest, you have the makings of a stunning foyer!

• teacats
    16 years ago

GORGEOUS chest!! You lucky lucky gal!

I'd love to see a round mirror above it!

How about adding more black-colored accents to highlight the colors in wonderful floor? Perhaps switch to a black silk shade on the lamp? Add a black-and-white toile vase with simple creamy flowers?

OR perhaps a brass bowl filled with silk greenery or white silk roses for the summer?

LOVE the idea of adding books for additional height for the lamp!

Jan

• Related Discussions

Need decor help with my foyer...

Q

Comments (21)
    An entry stairway is the perfect place to include family photos in the house. I would not have them all the same size & so perfect in placement as Violet showed. Adding some objects in different shapes here & there such as round mirrors to repeat the circle pattern in the lovely railing. This will take time & should not be done in one day. Take your time & live with the changes made to critique them. You have a very large area to work with & therefore can accommodate many shapes & positions. Don't be afraid of visually overlapping items as you mentioned as with the lamp & the stairway as that just adds more interest. Have fun with it.
    ...See More

Entry and Foyer : Need help in decorating.

Q

Comments (2)
    I can only see a couple of walls that have electrical outlets, and the one at the foot of the stairs will be too tight for a console or table and lamps. Once you have table/lamps determined, a large rug, rather than a door mat, will warm the space. Tape it out with painter's tape on the floor. You'll want surrounding furniture to sit off the rug. Other walls look to be optimal for beautiful art, and you may have space for a pretty upholstered chair.
    ...See More

Need help decorating my foyer

Q

Comments (3)
    I am also getting rid of the seat I used to have a mirror on wall but wanted to change things up. Is there anything I could put on that curved wall. Also what to put on top of the antique stand I just put that dish there tonight but it looks lonely
    ...See More

foyer decor help

Q

Comments (12)
    I wanted to share another idea — using a round table with lamp, and chair on the stair side. I think it would look nice to follow the curves of the room. Just my opinion, but I wouldn’t furnish both walls unless you did substantial matching chests/consoles. Putting various furniture pieces up against the walls on both sides doesn’t make sense in a pass-thru of this style (as Ida said) ... it ends up looking like a hodgepodge, and isn’t cohesive. I couldn’t find one exactly like your entry, but just general examples: I’d do that (nothing on the other side), have a rug/runner of some sort to soften and ground the space, as well add color/texture, and add art.
    ...See More
  • catherine07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great suggestions! I wish I could do a mirror but I already have a mirror over a bench which is to the left of the chest.

I could get a new lamp- if I did - what should it look like? Will post a picture of bench with mirror above it.

Also love the idea of a toile vase. Since chest and bench are french antiques I think that would be great.

• catherine07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is the picture of the bench with mirror above it.

Catherine

• mimi_2006
    16 years ago

I like the idea of something round or oval over it even if it's not a mirror. It would allow you a bigger piece without bumping into the slanted trim of the stairs. I also think you either need a bigger lamp or the books under it as someone suggested. Also, a different lampshade, something black or a darker color, depending on what you end up with on the wall. I like your pitcher, too. Beautiful chest, show us pics as it evolves and you try things. I got tons of help here with my foyer and finally got it where it made me smile when I come through the door. Good luck and keep posting!

• funkyart
    16 years ago

I am feeling unimaginative and uninspired today.. but I love your two french pieces.

The only thing I can add to what the others have shared is that I see some delicate flowers with the chest-- either in a vase or on the wall. I like your vase but I agree that it is too tall and the glass seems out of place. Maybe an antique pitcher with a small floral pattern? If you don't need a lamp there, I think an antique pitcher and wash basin centered on the chest would be gorgeous too.

• kgsd
    16 years ago

I think you should also add some more variance in the height of the items. Everything on there now is either tall and slender or short.

I also like items grouped together. Right now the things on the table are so spread apart, they don't look like they relate to each other.

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

Gorgeous, gorgeous chest and bench!!

You have received great ideas.

My idea is to go over the gold lamp with some black. Knock off the shiny gold look to it. Also, would the beautiful landscape fit over the chest?? It has very nice colors - and it seems that you face the chest when you enter?? I bet it is not noticed on the same wall as the front door?

What about an old rusty urn with a heap of moss?

Smiles:)

• catherine07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

First, thank you so much for your interest and suggestions, everyone. I like the idea of a round piece over the chest too. But it's hard to find anything round that is not a mirror. I did try the landscape over the chest but it's just a bit too big. One side hung out over the edge of the chest.

I will start looking for a darker shade- probably black. Or even a different lamp altogether.

As for a picture over the chest, what do you all think of one of these hanging over the chest? They are quite reasonably priced at Source Perrier.

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

I think one would be great there, Catherine, if the size was right. I like your mirror where it is and worry that any piece of art you can find that's round or oval would probably look too cutesy (although I have seen a few nice pieces over the years). For the most part, I don't like mirrors as the first thing a guest sees walking into your home. That is, unless the foyer is very small and dark. I like foyers to make a statement about the people that live there. Ideally, I'd replace the lamp or at least replace the shade with a black one. I might even antique that frame a black. I'd still go with something low and colorful on the right.

• jynxed23
    16 years ago

I love the chest, too! Here is a pic of my foyer chest just to see how I decorated it. I'm switching the mirror out with a more ornate one soon.

• catherine07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting your picture Jynxed- you have a lovely table and the greenery is very pretty. And I'm in love with your floor!

I have put the lamp on books and added some greenery and moved come things in a group. These changes were just using things I had around the house. I still need to shop for things! But I think this is better, no? Are the books ok?

• jynxed23
    16 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments, catherine07.

Do you have any bigger books? Even if you just have one (a coffee table size), you can stack books of different sizes. It not, I would pull the books up a little at the the same angle.

• caroline94535
    16 years ago

JMHO, but I'd put the taller lamp to the right of the picture, and the shorter plant to the left, so they follow the angle of stair wall.

I love the books under the lamp, especially since the picture has books. I'd lose the crystal bell and keep the silver tray only if you actually use it for keys or mail.

• User
    16 years ago

Lower the picture about 3 inches. Get a full, pretty ivy in a nice planter, maybe an oval ceramic with ormolu brass feet. Heftier lamp with a black shade (metal or heavy paper, maybe gold or bronze on the inside of the shade.

Those sailing prints/giclees are too small for the chest, even together. The chest is beautiful.

• yborgal
    16 years ago

I'd move the greenery, tray and bell to the left side of the chest. And I'd get a rounder, fuller Oriental ginger vase style lamp for the right side of the chest.
    The picture is nice, but I think too serious for that spot. I picture a more ornate frame with a more colorful theme.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• catherine07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again for more great suggestions!

I will lose the bell- it belongs on a smaller end table or something like that. I will begin looking for a different lamp. I monablair's suggestion to go in an asian direction. Could I use the blue and white porcelian theme maybe too? I guess it depends on the print.

I agree the picture I have is too high- i just didn't want to put ANOTHER hole in the wall until I have something that is staying. This area used to have a different table and picture.

Kswl, those sailing prints are actually 26 x 22 which is a little bigger than the book picture up there now... But I like the asian print idea now. Goodness so much to think about.

I wouldn't mind a tray but we don't generally come in the front door so it would only get used maybe at christmas for cards. If I could find a colorful tray- maybe deruta type?

I will play with the arrangement of switching the lamp and greenery like caroline suggested.

• yborgal
    16 years ago

I'm not very good at this, but this is how I pictured the chest with the lamp and artwork. I'd change out the silver tray for something in brass or gold to coordinate with the gold frame. You might select a brass tray large enough to place the crystal bell along with some other crystal items in order to create a collection of crystal pieces of different sizes and heights.. In this case I'd center the large tray on the chest and then place the greenery on 2 books (swiveled) to give the container more emphasis.

{{!gwi}}

• gk5040
    16 years ago

Love the chest!!! The lamp is not right. I think a taller bronze colored lamp with a fancier shade. I would put the three books under the potted greenery...and twist up the books....dont perfectly stack them. Add a decorative box.

Jynexd...I would gather the lamp cords to shorten them. Use a twisty tie and have them fall behind the furniture. Your foyer is georgeous.

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Timely post because I just redecorated my foyer table this week! Here are some pictures of my table and the last one was my inspiration pic!

{{!gwi}}

• catherine07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

gk5040- your arrangement is lovely and what a greata inspiration picture. I realized looking at your picture that I can be quite dense sometimes. I have a bigger, bronze lamp with a gold shade sitting unused in my dining room. HELLO!

Here is the new lamp with the books stacked and twisted, under the greenery. The bell and tray need to go still but I was all excited by the lamp discovery and forgot to move them.

Here is the chandelier that hangs over the chest.

• jynxed23
    16 years ago

gk5040: Thanks for the tip! They have been bothering me (especially after taking the photo). I was looking for a small bench or stool to put under the table but I LOVE the tie idea much better.

kmcg85: very, very, nice! My inspiration was an ad in the Frontgate catalog. If I had seen your inspiration pic first, my table would look very different. I noticed your plate stand is gold. Did you paint it gold or were you able to buy it that way? I just bought 4 for my living room and Michaels just carried black and clear.

• teacats
    16 years ago

Wonderful transformation!

LOVE the fresh new lamp -- perfect color! Consider switching to a deeper colored shade --- maybe black silk --- sometime -- just for a change!

Jan

• catherine07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm really getting on a roll now!

Seeing your sculpture kmcg reminded me that I had one just hanging out on my mantel. Then I remembered that I have a boat-y picture similar to the ones I posted before upstairs hanging in a corner of my bedroom.

Here are photos with both pictures. I moved lamp back to left side of the chest- due to the size of the shade it was awkward on the right side of the chest.

Any suggestions for tweaking placement of objects on the chest?

thanks again everyone! this forum is the best!

• teacats
    16 years ago

For this arrangement -- I prefer the darker-framed picture of the books -- to relate to the color of the sculpture.

again -- for THIS arrangement -- I would remove the topiary and crystal bell -- and add a smaller dense arrangement of silk roses in a brass or dark vase or bowl in the "middle" OR look for a small dark tray (to put your keys or mail)

• polkadots
    16 years ago

Catherine, I like the new lamp a lot and it looks great on the left. Like Teacats, I would remove the topiary and the bell. Maybe you can find another shorter greenery to place sort of where the bell is...something else to try, not sure if it would be better. It's looking nice and welcoming!

kmcg, love your new arrangement! Would you mind telling we where you got your lamp? I am looking for a similar shape to that for my sofa table. Thanks!

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

jynxed23, Thanks! The gold plate stand I got at Kirklands.
    Polkadots, I got the lamp there too! While we're at it, the faux orchid also! I literally took my inspiration pic with me in my purse to Kirkland's to look for a lamp and orchid and I spotted the plate stand as I walked to the checkout!
    Catherine, my sculpture I had hanging out on my mantel too! The monogram I printed out from Word and cut to fit the frame. The small bowl is a piece of lenox I had inherited tucked away in my china cabinet! I was so tickled when I pulled it altogther since I had some of the pieces already. I just never know what to do with everything!

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

In looking back at your foyer table, do you have a small picture/frame to place in the middle similar to mine? It would help fill the wall space between the table and picture hanging above it by connecting the two. greenery would work well also as long as it is a lower fuller type. Something like Philadendron (sp?). Instead of angling the books and sculpture, set them straight on. Try to achieve the up down up down effect. I like the lamp closer to the stairs too. Mine is on that side too. Works better.

• catherine07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kmcg, I could definitely do a frame and I like how you did your initial, it's very elegant. I am a font freak so it's perfect. I have found a smaller piece of greenery in an urn (in my bathroom) which I grouped with the statue, books and bell so I could use the frame with initial to fill the empty space in the middle...

I am going to look for a pretty china bowl too to replace the bell. I haven't been to kirkland's in ages- will have to check it out since you got such nice stuff there! It is fun to find things to use in your own house. I also have things lying around I don't quite no how to use.

thanks for your help and sharing your pictures.

• gk5040
    16 years ago

With the statue the topiary looks funny as a center piece. Try moving it near the lamp otherwise I think you need to replace it with a small green potted ivy that you can place near the lamp to soften up the area.

jyxned...glad you liked the twisty idea:)

• mimi_2006
    16 years ago

catherine,

I love the new lamp and the statue on top of the books. It looks great with the book picture behind it. I think some lower bushy greenery in the center instead of the topiary would be perfect. Compare that last pic you posted with the first one. You're getting there, it's looking good! It's amazing what an inspiration it can be to gather ideas here, it just makes you think of things you never would have.

• louisianapurchase
    16 years ago

Just ship that puppy to me and you won't have to worry about it!!! :) Beautiful chest!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

I love your chest. The new picture is much better, and the sculpture is pretty. One thing that's bugging me, though, is the books. The front entry is not a natural place to go looking for a book to read, so it's not a natural place to set books. Plus, books under things look like you're using them to prop up the tippy table leg -- they are definitely NOT for reading. Maybe it's because I'm a big reader, but I always feel that books used as props in places where you wouldn't normally go looking for a good book give an impression of falseness -- kind of a feeling of choosing the books for their covers instead of their contents, IYKWIM. I would rather see the scuplture on a real pedestal or on top of a pretty box of some sort. But maybe it's just me.

• catherine07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Speaking of the books, I saw some decorative fake books at Home Depot Expo today that were meant for stacking under things- that is how they had them displayed. They are painted boxes that are made to look like books- they have titles and authors one them- tolstoy- war and peace etc. Do you think that would be better?

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Well, I am biased against using books for display in unnatural locations and really opposed to fake books. Looks like a furniture show room to me. Makes me wonder if the tea cup is glued to the table, LOL.

What about a pedestal or decorative box that has nothing to do with books? It's an entry -- a natural location for a decorative box where you would put keys, wallet, sunglasses, etc. Have you looked at the pretty boxes and pedestal type things they often have at places like Pier 1, Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, Z Gallerie, etc.? I am totally assuming you live somewhere in the vicinity of these chain stores, but they also are available online. Other online places might include Ballard Designs. Tuesday Morning and Ross also frequently have small decorative items like that (probably a lot less $$ than Ballard or Pottery Barn, too).

• allison0704
    16 years ago

I don't like the books under the statue either. The lamp should be taller than the statue, imo.

I like the dark frame, but not the book print. Don't like the tree or bell at all with the lamp and statue.

Do you have any family things that could go here? I like the shape of the silver tray and agree a darker one would be nice.