SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bellsrus_gw

OK - who else likes lots of color? Help, please!

bellsrus
16 years ago

I have to say that I'm really struggling when picking out the flooring, granite, backsplash, etc. for the house that we're building. Because our current house has green marbled ceramic tile in the kitchen, main floor halls, laundry room, entry and master bath and it's been a challenge to decorate around, we decided that our new house should have all the big-ticket, hard-to-change items in more neutral colors. (Just to clarify, the green tile was in before we bought this house, and I do like it - just tricky to decorate.)

I think that part of my problem in choosing all these neutral colors for the new house is that I LOVE lots of color. My family room is a grayish purple, my kitchen is yellow with white, blue, and yellow wallpaper on some of the walls, my bedroom is painted Quietude (a blue-green or green-blue depending on how the light hits it), my family room area rug has a gazillion colors in it, and I'm a quilter who loves bright colored fabrics and funky, whimsical patterns.

So, help please! How do I deal with picking out (to me) these colorless items for the house? For example, the granites I'm most attracted to are the blues and greens, not the browns and beiges. DH on the other hand, is trying to stick to making the big-ticket items neutral in color (which I agree is a good thing to do).

I keep reminding myself that later on I can decorate with lots of color - the pendant lights, the window treatments, the paint colors, but right now I'm struggling and feel like I'm drowning in a beige world!

Patti

Comments (12)