SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
choochnbob

Raised deck for above ground pool

choochnbob
15 years ago

Hello, I'm new to this forum and hoping for some ideas since I have no ability to visualize what anything will look like when done:

We have an existing 22" high 12' by 16' fifteen yr old PT deck with an above ground pool that is 4 feet away at its closest point. We want to build a roughly 10'X 15' deck at pool height off to the side so the kids can hop out and jump in.

We want to 'link' the existing deck (22 inches high) to the new pool height deck (53" high). I would like to do something to get rid of the railings that run along by the pool since they really break up the view. They look lousy from inside the house ( DH thinks they're fine so they can stay if nec) I want them gone if poss so I assume that means we'd need to do some sort of step down for the length of the deck toward the pool and then a step up to the new raised deck. Is that even feasible? We would love to see pics of other multi level decks that step up from the lower house area deck to the upper pool area deck. I have only found pics that show upper decks stepping down to pool height decks. Any ideas,advice,and jokes from John, would be appreciated.

In addition the old deck is in lousy shape- dry and cracked and splinter abundant so depending on pricing we may replace it. It is also only one inch lower than the sliders that lead to it and I remember the home inspector mentioning some problem with that though it hasn;t been a problem that I can tell. At this point I think we're going PT for the new deck due to cost but mostly need ideas for how to link the 2 decks at this point. One additional possible option I was wondering about: Would taking off the existing deck and replacing it with a patio made with stone pavers and then putting the old decking up on higher supports off to the side to make it the 'new' pool height deck be a feasible and cheaper way to go? We are in southern NH if the climate factors in. Thanks.

Hope this link works:

deck pics

Here is a link that might be useful: chooch's deck/pool

Comments (2)