SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
upstater67

alternative Waste & Overflow for Duravit Starck bathtub?

Upstater67
12 years ago

I've done so much helpful research here and on the Bathroom Forum, but right now I feel like I've hit a dead end, so here's my first question.

I have my dream bathtub, the Duravit Starck # 700166, on order. It is the simple 60 x 30 soaker model, no electric bells and whistles.

Duravit offers only one choice for this tub's Waste & Overflow, Duravit's cable driven # 790220. I don't like it for my purposes because (1) I definitely want a model with a strainer-type top to keep hair from going down the drain and (2) I prefer a polished nickel finish (the recommended model comes only in chrome).

One thing that concerns me is that apparently this suggested Waste & Overflow has a flexible neck. I am wondering if that feature is going to be necessary for dealing with the Starck tub, which has a slight angle to the front wall that the overflow is going to be mounted on.

According to its diagrams, the tub is 18 1/8" deep and has a 2" hole for the drain. There is a 9" horizontal reach from the center of the drain hole to the outside of the tub where the vertical pipe would be.

I've called both Duravit and Geberit (the actual manufacturer of the Waste & Overflow) and neither one had a suggestion for an alternate model.

Does anyone here have experience dealing with this tub and finding alternate plumbing for it? Would there at least be a way for me to have a strainer type metal drain closer installed instead of the Duravit plug, if I have to buy the Duravit model? Hair down the drain is a big, big issue in this household. (This is my beautiful new bathroom remodel and I do not want to have to get one of those plastic drain cover items.)

Here is a link to the tub:

http://www.duravit.us/website/homepage/products/product_overview/series/starck_tubsshower_trays.us-en.html/p-411926

And here is a link with a photo of the Waste & Overflow:

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/DURAVIT-790220000001000-Cable-Drive-Waste-Overflow-Chrome/212332/Cat/915?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=googlebase&cvsfa=63&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=323132333332

Thanks so much for any advice!

Comments (6)