SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rat423

Choosing pool pump

rat423
15 years ago

I am buying a bank repossessed home in central California.

The home has an old plaster pool, almost square that I estimate holds about 24000 gallons of water.

Someone has stolen the pump & filter system leaving just the suction and return plumbing (both 1 1/2 pvc) and the mechanical timer still in place.

The suction line splits into 2 valves, one goes to the pool drain and the other to the skimmer.

The pressure side splits underground to the various return ports on the pool walls.

Judging from the timer I am assuming the old pump was a single speed 220v motor.

From my research it seems that it would be wise to invest in a second timer and install a 2 speed motor for the main filtration system. I am planning on using a sand filter with Zeolite filter media.

My questions are, would I stand to gain an appreciable amount of additional energy savings if I chose the IntelliPro vs 3050 pump & motor combination instead of a 2 speed 1 1/2-1/3 hp motor?

And if so would I be able to connect the IntelliPro unit to the existing manual timer or is an electronic timer necessary?

I have not settled on the exact filter I will be buying but the models I am comparing all hold about 500 lbs of filter media.

Does this sound like an adequate system? There are no other systems to operate, just the water filtration.

Thank you for looking!

Comments (4)