SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macingrace_gw

2 water heaters, series or parallel??

macingrace
11 years ago

The whole story as short as I can make it. Currently 1 40 gallon electric water heater. I am replacing with a 50 gallon gas. When this is done I want to put a electric 40 gallon in master bath I got for $30 brand new. I will use existing circuit to power it. What I want to accomplish:

MB is about 90 feet away from water heater. With circulating pump installed takes about 1 to 2 minutes for hot water to hit bathroom. Without pump it can take up to 4 or 5 minutes. I have no issues of running out of hot water. I just want to set up 2 water heaters so I can remove pump and get hot water faster to MB. I also want to do this the most efficient way possible.

My thought is to supply MB (2nd) water heater with the hot side from the 1st water heater and this will save me money not having to have the electric heat as much water. The first will supply the rest of the house as they are all within 10ft and only as far away 25 feet of 1st water heater. I believe the circulating pump in my case is costing me lots of electricity. I am just looking to get hot water to my MB quickly and saving money on utilities. If I supply cold water to MB it would seem to me this is more expensive as I have a gas WH heating cold water and the electric doing the same.

Any thoughts on this? Anything else I need to know to do this correctly??

Thanks for your help.

Comments (29)