SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cissado

1.5hp 2-speed pump for 8k gallons? and...

cissado
15 years ago

First, I'm a total newbie. I've only been reading about pools for 2 weeks.

This is for a round above ground pool. Roughly 8200 gallons. Waterways pump and 200sf filter. I couldn't get the 1hp with two speeds, so I may just get this 1.5hp.

The 200sf filter comes with a 2hp pump, but I was able to switch it with the 1.5pump. I'm planning on running it on low mostly.

The pool will come with a 1.5 inch pipe now. Can I increase it to 2" rigid?

Well, the above was decided on as of a few days ago, but after more reading, I'm starting to think it is overkill and would want a variable speed pump OR a smaller size 2 speed. But there is more to consider.

Question: Is the Pentair intelliflo VF just for inground pools? If not, would this be a good fit for my pool? I have come to this conclusion because I also want a SWC installed and I'm looking at the Pool pilot total control system with tank, and all the sensors etc.. Possibly the 48 size. Now I need to have the system run for a certain amount of hours per day. That is the reason I would think the 1.5 is too big and a variable speed on low would be better for my application. There would be way too many turnovers. This way, the salt system would work and I would be saving energy usage.

Also, I would be able to control the swg from the pump, right? I would not need a timer in this setup. At least that is what I understand. I'm on brain overload here! I was planning on buying the setup this week.

It will just be the pool with no other attatchements. Not sure of my automatic cleaner yet. That is secondary and I'll do whatever I have to to get this other stuff sorted out first. If I have to get a dedicated unit because there is too low of a flow, I will.

I know the quick answer is "No way, overkill", but it would save some energy, operate the swg, and run the pool for the desired turnovers while producing the proper chlorine. Any other options? I like to keep it simple. That is why I'm leaning towards the Pilot total control system. No timer would be great too.

Any suggestions? thank you.

PS Or I would get the waterways 1.5 2peed pump with 200sf filter and an Aquatrol swg and call it a day. I like my first idea better, if it works.

Comments (5)