SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshuaspoppa_gw

Refinishing purpleheart/ipe deck - replacement for WoodZotic?

joshuaspoppa
15 years ago

Folks,

I was on here a couple years ago, looking for help choosing a finish for our purpleheart/ipe deck, and got a lot of valuable help that led me to Restore-a-Deck and WoodZotic. I duly restored and refinished the deck, and it looked marvelous. The finish actually held up quite well, too, much better than the tung oil finish we'd used previously.

Of course, that was 2 years ago. It's time to start planning for refinishing in early summer, once the rains clear up and it gets to be "deck weather"... and WoodZotic remains shut down (I know, I know, don't get y'all started).

So... all you deck hounds out there (John Hyatt, you know I'm talking about you! among others :^) ), what are you recommending these days for straightforward, idiot-proof, long-lasting DIY finishes for exotic hardwoods? The thing I liked about WoodZotic, aside from the fact that it really did last quite a long time and looked very good throughout, is that it was far simpler to apply than most - fairly tolerant of different heat and humidity conditions, single application, not super fussy about wiping off excess or applying too thickly or thinly... Is there something else out there that would do the job well without making me insane?

- David

Comment (1)