SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madwing

ipe deck finish...yes, again

madwing
14 years ago

i'm nearly done putting my ipe decking down on my 22'x22' deck, and am *completely* lost with respect to what to finish it with.

i am in felton, ca, and we get a lot of wet 6 months/year (about 48 inches), dry the other 6 months, and inbetween rains it's not particularly humid. i used 1x6 ipe, face screwed with brown headcote 8x2.5 trimheads. the deck surface ranges from 28-36" above grade, and i will use lattice to enclose 3 sides (the house is the 4th). the wall the deck is attached to faces SW, so lots of sun in the summer (though we will have an arbor over the whole deck; it still will get lots of hot sun from may through september).

i expect to refinish once a year.

right now i've narrowed it down to four choices, in order of what's now my preference (based on the information currently at hand):

1. woodrich brand hardwood wiping stain

2. penofin hardwood formula

3. twp 300

4. twp 100

i've elminiated from consideration:

1. all thompsons, other big-box products

2. messmers (based on salmonslayer's recent discovery, he's not far away from me down there in pb)

3. cabot products.

i don't want to do what johnhyatt does (multiple layers), i'd really like something that doesn't show much in the way of surface film, and yet keeps the mildew and fading/greying to a minumum between coats. i also don't want a huge stripping project every year, hoping rather to just add more of whatever after a good cleaning.

sorry to add yet another thread on finishes for ipe, but i just can't collate and rectify the other information i've read (even with ss's great collation) to make a satisfactory decision.

all the best,

bill

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living