SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
micahjo

General deck advice / concrete deck?

micahjo
17 years ago

We're in the process of designing a house, and I was hoping I could get some advice on the deck.

The house is roughly a two-story 30'x40 rectangle with a walkout basement. We had originally planned 9' wide decks to extend out from both the 1st and 2nd floors and to wrap around the east and south sides (approx 1050 sq ft of deck).

Now we're thinking about having only the 1st floor deck wrap around the south (front) for about 15 ft. and having a roof over it instead of a 2nd deck to save costs (bringing us down to 850 sq ft). We'd need to roof to give us cover during the hot, hot Oklahoma summers.

My question is this: how much do you think a deck like this might cost? And do you think anything about the design would make it cost-prohibitive? Obviously the answer depends on the material. We were originally thinking about composite, but after reading all the posts on this forum, I'm definitely rethinking that.

My husband definitely doesn't want to be sealing that much deck every year though. Does Ipe require yearly sealing?

One of the fellows bidding for our walk-out basement suggested doing a concrete deck and said he could do it for $25 a sq. ft. (not including railing or stairs - I'm guessing those would have to be wrought iron). That sounded like a lot until I read the recent post about $90 a sq ft. bid for a wood deck . . . I haven't seen much about concrete decks on this forum. Does anyone have experience with them or could give me some pros and cons?

Any other thoughts? Sorry not to be more specific. I just thought folks on this forum might be able to give some insight on the best choice or warn me about pitfalls that I haven't even thought of regarding this design (two really high decks built on top of one another).

Thanks so much in advance for any advice -- Micah

Comments (4)