SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
markm75c

12x12 Deck construction tips, concrete blocks on packed soil? 12x6?

M J
4 years ago

I'm trying to get a list of materials for a very basic 12x12 deck build. I've tried using sites like the home depot offline generator and its saying $10,000 for a simple flat deck. Can anyone comment on the materials needed (primarily at Lowes) for a build like this. Ill have a 2x2 center pier area boxed off.

I was going for block footers (6-9 of them), 16 on center for each joist.

i assumed 12-13 2x6x12 pressure treated boards, going for a 3/4 plywood deck so roughly 3-4? at $39 a piece (yellow pine sheathing?), there was cheaper sheathing, unsure. The other things i'm not sure on are the joist hangers count and location (i think mainly the outside perimeter and then angle brackets of some kind at each other place.

Is a 12x6 enough for this small of a deck even, or should i go with 12x8's?

I'm not sure on the deck screws (#8 2"?) nickel, zinc etc.. or if any nails should really be used. (if we ever move i might either try to disassemble it or just take it as is on a truck)

The load on top is around 300lbs of material plus 1-2 people (observatory dome on the deck, cement floating pier in the middle not touching the deck).

The one designer tool shows using these right angle brackets too, unsure if needed?

For the hangers, i'm guessing ill have to tilt the whole thing on its side as i add the plywood flooring to do the hangers, because it will only be about 12 inches off the ground.

Also, i've started leveling the ground by hand (though i may wait on a bobcat), the higher area towards the back needs scooped out, i thought about just tossing that dirt to the lower area to make it even and level and packing it, but i'm concerned after settling the deck may shift on those concrete blocks later?

Any suggestions

Thanks in advance

Comments (9)