SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joe1980_gw

Raised Veggie Bed

Joe1980
12 years ago

Ok, so I am thinking of venturing into making myself a veggie garden. My situation is that I have clay soil, you know, the kind that stay wet for ages, but when it does dry, it's like rock? Anyway, I have that, with about 8" or so of topsoil. So, I'm thinking that I'd like to make a raised garden bed, somewhere in the range of 20'x15'. Firstly, how deep would I want to make the bed, considering the 8" of good soil I have to work with? Also, would I be better off with a couple/few smaller plots, or just one big shabang? Now, the question of the day....what material to use. I don't want my yard looking like a trailer park, so no tires or other garbage. I have been reading and pondering the AC2/ACQ treated wood, which would be the most cost effective, but I still don't know how I feel about the chemicals, and whether they REALLY are a concern. If anything, I could coat the inside with construction plastic. What kind of raised beds do my fellow gardeners out there have, and do you have any ideas and/or tips for me before I start building? Thank you in advance.

Joe

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County