SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Range At End Of Counter Run/Wall?

John Liu
14 years ago

I have a question about placing a range at the end of a counter run/wall.

My layout keeps evolving, but currently I plan a 36'' range with a steel 12'' filler cabinet (a bit of landing space with sheetpan storage below), between the side of the range and the end of the wall.

At the end of the wall, there will be traffic in/out of the kitchen. The filler gives me some landing space. People passing through will be separated from the side of the range, and from pots/handles/burners on the range, by the 12'' filler counter.

This is pretty much how the range is currently set up, and I've had no problem with elbows knocking into whatever is set on that filler.

But a 36'' range only has one oven, so to get a second oven I have had to plan a wall oven in the pantry wall. That wall oven will consume a chunk of potential pantry space, and really constrains the shelf/drawer sizes.

Now I am thinking about using a 48'' range with dual ovens. I'd eliminate the 12'' filler and bring the range right up to the end of the wall. This gives me two ovens and more pantry space, as well as two more burners.

People passing through will walk directly by the side of the range. I would add a sheetmetal fence/guard to that side of the range, to block pots from tipping off the end of the range, to prevent handles from protruding into the traffic aisle, and to shield passerby from the two end-most burners. I usually won't need to use those two burners, so they can function as landing space for the other six burners.

What do you think? I know we usually eschew placing ranges right at the end of walls and of counter runs, but I'm working with a fairly tight space here. Does this sound workable, or dangerous/ugly enough that I should revert to the 36'' range plan?

Comments (20)