SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pjb999

removing older-style Moen shower mixer handle cover plate

pjb999
16 years ago

The ongoing saga of the vanity replacement that turned into (more or less) a full-scale (albeit budget) bathroom reno continues...

One piece fibreglass shower enclosure, with a shower head mounted far from centrally (located much closer to the outer part of the shower, if it was further in, it would be fine) - the drywall above (not water resistant) is shot, so I wanted to replace and then tile, but want to relocate shower head. Shower head fixing (the bronze in-wall part) is right on the edge of the fibreglass flashing edge part so really no access let alone getting a torch to it, so I wanted to disassemble the shower mixer 1) because I like to mess with things that are not yet broken 2) because I want to make sure it's not leaking and 3) because, hopefully, it will reveal the connection for the shower head and is screwed on not soldered, so I can drop a new piece in there so I can relocate the head six inches over) and 4) I am considering trying to refinish the shower enclosure which is battleship grey, I am wondering why I couldn't go over it with marine Gelcoat (a kind of fibreglass resin paint used on boats etc to give them that finished shine) or look at some sort of commercial refinish)

This mixer is a cheap-looking Moen a few years old, with an ovalish plastic handle (the clear fluted sort) which goes over a large circular chrome inset trim which fits tightly over the valve (may have a seal as part of it) which features a keyway so the chrome trim will sit only one way.

Gently trying to prise it off doesn't move it and I don't want to damage it, or the enclosure or any seals, and I don't want to force it. It really looks as if it's fixed somehow at the centre, but the enclosure and this trim piece will slide up and down on the valve body when the shower wall is flexed, so I'm thinking it's fixed some other way.

Unfortunately there is no model number or anything to go by on this mixer tap, does anyone have any idea how this is likely to be affixed, and how it can be safely removed?

Thanks

Comments (4)