SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donk4kyv

Removing shower faucet valve seat

AMRadiohead3885
11 years ago

The cold water faucet in the shower drips. I tried replacing the rubber washer, but the drip didn't completely stop. Took it back apart, examined the brass valve seat and noticed a crack or chip. Tried to re-surface it with a tool made for that purpose, but the chip is apparently too deep.

I tried to remove the brass seat with a 1/4" square drive that fits into the hole in the middle of the seat, but it won't budge no matter what. I believe the square drive or the pipe would break first. I tried squirting it with PB Blaster but that didn't help. This plumbing is about 45 years old, so it doesn't surprise me that the seat would be stuck. The faucet is made by Gerber. I think replacement valve seats are still available, if I can just get the old one out.

Wonder if anyone might have any suggestions how this could be accomplished without removing the whole faucet, which would require ripping into the wall and unsoldering the copper pipes.

I have thought of trying heating the brass seat with a propane torch, and/or using an impact wrench/drill to break the brass seat loose enough to turn it. But I would be interested in any advice from someone who might have successfully removed one of those seats, before proceeding.

Don

Comments (5)