SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darylv1_gw

Re-Framing a wrap around porch on Victorian home

darylv1
15 years ago

Hi,

The decking and framing of our covered wrap around front porch is in desperate need of replacement (roof structure is fine). I am capable enough to install the decking (most likely Tigerwood T&G), but have been getting estimates on the framing, which have been outrageous, so I have been thinking about doing it on my own. The porch is an L-shaped wrap around, with the outer dimensions being 24 ft and 16 ft. It is about 8 feet deep on both sides, so I'll be using 8 ft T&G boards, and I want to install them perpendicular to the house on both sides, with a 45 degree seam at the corner.

My question is this: Could I run a doubled 2x12 beam parallel to the house and joists perpendicular to the house from ledger to beam, then install 2x10 blocking 16"OC between all joists so I can run the T&G perpendicular to the house?

It seems less work to do this then it would to run multiple beams perpendicular to the house, as I'd need almost double the amount of footings to do it this way.

Any advice would be appreciated, and if there's any additional info you'd need from me to be able to offer any advice, please let me know.

Thanks!

Daryl

Comments (4)