SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brandon7_gw

Exterior of 3000 sq foot, single-story house with wrap-around porch

As I am sure will be obvious, I give new meaning to the term novice, when it comes to designing a house. We will have our first real visit with the architect in about a week and hope to get a head start on a few things. We've done a lot of thinking about what we want in the way of features, room size, and things like that, but I feel a little stumped when it comes to the style or design of the exterior of our home. We know we want a wrap-around porch (or at least a partial wrap-around), but we can't really find a design or pictures on line for a house that is 1) single story, 2) is a decent size - like 3000 square feet or so, AND 3) has a wrap around porch.

I've searched quite a bit through the Houzz picture archive (got about half way through a search result of over 600 pictures), looked through some home design books and resources, and done a variety of Google image searches, but just haven't had much luck at finding anything that met the criteria and looked good. Lots of the larger homes were 2-story, and it's hard to visualize something akin to chopping the top off of these houses. Many houses, with wrap-around porches, that did look appealing were way smaller than what we want. And, of course, there are plenty of nice looking single-story homes that don't have the required nice, big, wrap-around porch.

The house will be located in a somewhat rural setting on top of a small hill. I'd like a design that would be appropriate for the long-term (in other words won't look dated in a few years). I don't want something formal, but I also don't like something overly cottage-looking or ornate or "modern". I just want a nice looking attractive house that looks good but doesn't stick out as gaudy or ugly.

Not sure how much luck I'll have here, but thought it would be worth a try. Your help would be appreciated!

Comments (19)