SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenbean08_gw

Dog barking in the car

greenbean08_gw
14 years ago

I usually hang out in the gardening forums but I ended up over her while searching for info on a problem with my dog's nails. I could use some advice (on another subject) if anyone has a suggestion.

My 3 y/o lab mix (we don't know what he's mixed with, but I suspect pit or rott possibly, but who really knows) loves to ride in the car (as does my other labX) but when we drive past someone on a bicycle or another dog, he goes crazy barking at them until we've passed them. He'll even wait (with great anticipation) until we're beside the bicyclist before losing his mind. He also sometimes barks at the gate guard as we drive away when going to the nearby Air Force Base. He had stopped that for several months but has reverted recently. He also gets my other dog to join is this charming behavior.

I don't think it's purely a bike thing, I can have him on the front porch when someone rides by on the street and he watches but doesn't bark (though if not on his best behavior, he's not allowed on the front porch and I think he realizes that most days) but we also took him to watch a bicycle race about a year or so ago and he was much more interested in the people around us than the bikes flying past.

Short of buying a shock collar (which some days is very tempting), any suggestions? I've tried (for months) praising him for good behavior and I've tried swatting him (tough to do if I'm the one driving) to distract him (praising wasn't working). The only thing that works is a preventative death grip on his collar before we pass them (also very tough while I'm driving and he's usually not right next to me).

Comments (9)