SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mama2zoe

Leak downstairs from upstairs tub-overflow drain?

mama2zoe
16 years ago

We had a leak last night into our kitchen through a recessed light (and around it) and there was a water mark at another spot about 2 feet away. The only thing we did differently is that when my daughter was taking a bath, she turned on the water and it was pretty high, but I assumed it would go down the overflow drain. (I thought she had the water high enough to go into the overflow once before, but not this high.) Once we realized it (after the bath when we went downstairs), we just turned off the light, cleaned up the water on the hardwoods and counter and waited for it to stop dripping. There's still a stain on the ceiling:( Does this mean it's most likely a problem with the overflow plate/drain? I've heard some people mention getting behind the tub, which could be in the bathroom (there's about a foot behind the tub which we could access from the side or it's in a very visible hallway unfortunately:( I was thinking we would just make sure we never have the water that high again, but could it be something else??? If the solution is get into the wall, then we may have to do it, and then just repair the hallway wall and the kitchen ceiling:( By the way, our house is 12 years old. Sorry this is so long and thanks for your help!

Comment (1)