SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
baltra_gw

Looking for 'family' dog. Coton? Other hair dogs?

BalTra
12 years ago

Hello all.

I'm new to this forum so I'll quickly introduce myself in pet terms, of course!

I've had dogs my whole life (am 41 now). Always a fan of mutts and rescues. Special weakness for staffordshire terriers/ pitties for their affectionate, eager to please, highly intelligent and gentle and agile nature. Have had one of my own and fostered many.

Learned much about digs and training/behavior from those who followed jean Donaldson, Ian Dunbar, karen Pryor. Caesar Milan makes me see red.

Now I have a young child. She is amazing with dogs. Calm, thoughtful, affectionate and has lots of fun training.

I find myself in the position of having developed a mild but bothersome (sore throat, tired) allergy to most dogs. However, those with "hair" don't seem to bother me.

I also find myself wanting a smaller (not tiny!) dog for the benefit of my DD. So, my beloved bully dogs are out of the running. So are most shelter dogs. :(

I want a companion dog who has the potential to be a therapy dog. Steady temperament. Can handle alone time while I'm at work. I work pretty regular hours, most always under 40 hours.

Love smart, responsive, people oriented dogs who have potential to be fine at dog park, dog daycare, and with strangers and visitors of all ages (highly social household).

I've been anti-purebred forever. Both for the love of rescue dogs and for the poor health that goes along with most AKC breeds.

I've been searching online for "ethical" breeders, read about the "Purebread Paradox" in Bark magazine.

Came across the Coton de Tuliers. Intrigued. Anyone have experience with this non AKC breed?

Anyone here have suggestions for dogs with hair who have big dog personalities? Non AKC non puppy mill dogs who aren't plagued by inbred genetic disorders?

I ask with full recognition that every dog is an individual!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Comments (14)