SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weed30

Kidney problems - help needed with diet. Anyone? Meghane??

weed30 St. Louis
17 years ago

Taco's blood tests show high BUN levels and high creatinine. The vet said her BUN is 48 and should be 25, and the creatinine is 3.2 and should be 1.6. She wants me to start Taco on Hills KD, but I really don't want to feed commercial.

I guess I am willing to try the canned Hills KD, (She hates Kibble), but my goal is to make a KD diet for her myself, so at least I know there is fresh wholesome food in it.

I am just starting to look around on the internet, and have found some things, but I know it will take awhile to decipher. One article I found, in part:

A diet suitable for dogs and cats with failing kidneys can be prepared at home by adding one-half cup of cooked ground chicken breast or two crushed large hard-boiled eggs (no shells) to four cups of mashed potatoes or four cups of boiled brown rice. 30ml (Two tablespoons) of Canola oil, one-quarter Centrum tablet, 100iu of vitamin E, and 500mg of absorbable Calcium from any human calcium supplement, which is free of phosphorus on the label. Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol acetate is known to slow the aging process by scavenging free-radicals). Garlic or onion powder can be used in moderation if the diet is fed to dogs. It must never be fed to cats. The amount prepared should feed a ten pound cat for two to three days, or a 25 pound dog for a day or two, depending on its activity level and metabolic rate.***

A second recipe, originally published by Hills Pet Foods, for renal failure in dogs but somewhat modified by me, consisted of ¼ pound ground regular beef (not chuck or round), 1 large hard-boiled egg, two cups of cooked white rice, three slices of white bread, and a teaspoon full of calcium carbonate. I would add a multivitamin with vitamin E to this recipe.

In any of the renal diets, the addition of fermentable fiber may be helpful in controlling uremia. The theory is that the bacteria that ferment this fiber in the intestines utilize some of the excess urea in the petÂs blood stream.

Comments (17)