SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chi83

Pet insurance dilemma

Chi
12 years ago

Hi all,

I'm hoping some of the fellow pet owners can help me with a pet insurance question. I have Trupanion and my three cats are covered. It's a $250 deductible with 90% coverage.

My cats are 6, 6 and 4. In terms of pre-existing conditions, one of the 6 year olds had most of his teeth yanked 2 years ago for gingivitis. The other 6 year old had slightly elevated liver enzymes a year or two ago but no problems since. I haven't had bloodwork done on him lately. The 4 year old had a urinary blockage last May but has had no problems since he was unblocked.

The monthly premium when I was in Boston was $81. I thought that was high. However, I just moved to CA and with my new zipcode, my premium shoots up to $121.

I like the peace of mind knowing I have insurance in case something serious happens to my cats, but I'm wondering if it makes financial sense. To break even, one of them would have to have a $1,350 vet bill per year. But, if one of them gets a chronic illness, it'll more than make up for the years of insurance premiums.

They are generally healthy but they are getting older. I would like to not have to make treatment choices based on money. I know as soon as I cancel the insurance, one of them will need surgery!

What do you guys think? Thanks!

Comments (10)