SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kahlanne_gw

Spring fever...need help with exterior

kahlanne
16 years ago

I need help on yet another project. This would be more of an outdoor project and one I would hire done but I need help on the plan/ideas. Every year I want to do something more than just flowers with the front of my home and each year we never do anything because we don't know what to do. This year, I am hoping will change this.

I hate my front entrance due to its inset, small space, and color. I found out that the wood underneath the horrible, sagging siding is in great condition and we will tear it off and paint the eaves, etc. Some have suggested I even paint the bricks but I am not sure. The only painted bricks that I have seen and really liked are creamy white ones. Do you think I should paint the bricks or not?

{{!gwi}}

I would aslo like to "beef up" my entrance either with a porch or courtyard. I need to have an idea of what I want before trying to hire the work though. Of course we would like to do this with as little money invested as possible but we do want to choose a plan that will give the most bang for the buck. As for use, we would love seating overlooking our beautiful 1 acre front yard. Seating for two would work but the more the merrier. Can you help me choose a plan that would give us the most for our money and make the house look and function better?

Option 1

60'X8' front porch the entire length of the house. The porch floor would be decking to allow access to the pipes if necessary. The roof is the issue. Our roof is a hip style with 3' overhangs and we would want to connect a porch roof to the existing one. I am sure this is the most expensive of the options. I have an inspiration picture but when I blow it up, it almost looks like it is actually a pergola rather than roof. Would this work and be cheaper?

{{!gwi}}

Option 2.

15'X8' front entrance, reaching from window to window on either side of the door. The roof would be a gable, I believe, connecting to the existing roof but in a different way. Here is a pic of a porch similar to what I am trying to describe.

{{!gwi}}

Option 3:

Courtyard with pergola which I have drawn but not to scale. Really this is the same as option 2 but with a pergola rather than a new roof. The pergola could attach to the roof or not.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (14)