SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denis_h

plumber with stuck snake legal liability

17 years ago

hello,

in clearing my main sewer line my plumber got their snake stuck. since we couldnt get a camera down after we weren't sure what was down there. the assumption was it was orangeburg and that it may have collapsed. to fix it and retrieve the snake the plumber gave me an estimate of $3800 to dig up the main line and while it was exposed replace what i had with pvc roughly 30' from house to road. once they dug everything up it turned out the snake had gotten stuck on a mass of roots. it turned out i had terra cotta and not orangeburg so it was actually it pretty decent repair, however as everything was dug up might as well replace it to avoid root problems in future. however plumber charged me full $3800 est. instead of eating any of that cost due to the requirement of digging cause of stuck snake. I am going to talk to the parent company tomorrow to see if they can do anything for me but I was curious if someone knew if the plumber should be legally liable for at least some of the cost or if as a homeowner its my risk to call someone out to snake the drain and if their stuff gets stuck its also my responsibilty to get it cleared out?

or is it more a policy issue from company to company? after the work I asked our plumber and he said if I didnt want to dig after it was stuck he could decide it wasnt worth him digging the line and eating the cost and he could walk away from it for me to sort out. they were professional and dig good work but its hard to say it was necesary. I would have had ongoing root invasion into the line. however lots of people have that, its not clear i NEEDED a $3800 replacement until the snake got stuck.

Comments (6)