SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neesie_gw

Now I regret inviting my friend.....

neesie
12 years ago

I work at a school and have the whole summer off; my husband is retired. So I thought I'd plan a trip to Mackinac Island which is a 10 hour drive from where we live. I know the prices on the island are quite high, and in light of the fact that my only daughter is getting married in September I thought I'd look for some budget accomodations. I found an adorable motel in St. Ignace right on the shores of Lake Huron. It got excellent reviews for location and cleanliness. I figured we could relax after a long day of driving and check out the next morning and take the ferry over to the island and spend the day. That evening we could take the ferry back and head out. I didn't plan on driving 10 hours home - I left this part open to head out, get a motel after a few hours driving where we could wake up, check out and spend some time at another attraction on the way home. There are many state parks and things to see. This isn't the problem.

The problem is that I asked a friend if she'd like to join us. My husband and I recently spent a month in Puerto Vallarta and invited the friend to spend some time with us there (she came for 5 days) and it was all good. She'd never travelled internationally before or very far and was a fish out of water. She ended up LOVING Puerto Vallarta and we let her stay (for free) in what was some very luxurious accomodations that we booked several months ahead of time.

The problem is NOW she wants to change the motel we want to stay at. Her first suggestion was a state park where the ammenities were a light bulb, electricity and bunk beds (where you bring your own bedding!) I told her that after 10 hours my husband will want to relax in bed with some cable TV and I'm not wild about sharing a bathroom with a bunch of campers and neither one of was good with bunk beds! She herself is a camping nut - which is good and fine and I knew that about her - but now she wants to change every aspect of this trip to be about going to State Parks. I told her that we could take seperate ferry's over to the island (in essence just share the car ride to the area) and I'd even throw in an extra day to hike somewhere but I really don't like her take it or leave it attitude. After all....I invited her to come on a couples vacation in which we're driving - my car and I just thought she'd enjoy some time away with us. We get along good usually or I would never have invited her to Puerto Vallarta.

She e-mailed me another suggestion (motel to stay at; for some reason she isn't loving my original suggestion in St. Ignace - claims it is close to the airport) and her suggestions are driving me CRAZY. I just want to go to the motel, take the ferry and go to Mackinack Island. I'm open for things to do on the way back but her constant picking at my itinery is driving me crazy. I regret inviting her now.

Should I put my foot down and say - these are my plans, do you want to come or not? I really don't need her to chip in on gas, I am going to go with or without her contribution. I just don't want to lose a friendship over this.

Comments (29)