SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highjumpgirl_gw

indoor pool ??

highjumpgirl
14 years ago

Hi, I just found this forum and am excited to read thru past postings! We are getting ready to build, and have an indoor pool room wing designed on our house. We've been married 22 years and have had about 14 homes, so we really know how we live, and indoor is the option we decided will make us the happiest. We live on the Intracoastal Waterway (NC), where we swim a lot in warm weather. We've had above-ground pools here, and found that we use the Waterway more (the pools were good when the kids were really young). So the indoor pool will be for winter parties and daily exercise. We were always planning on a fiberglass pool, but recently realized we want a vinyl liner instead, which could be replaced more easily if there are problems down the road. This is to be our "forever" home (God willing) and we are age 45. Our kids are 10 & 11.

It looks like there are really knowledgeable people on this forum, so I thought I'd throw this plan out and see if you have any immediate thoughts on it. I have a ??fireplace drawn on one wall of the pool....just for ambience...(can't remember what GC is planning to use there, something that is shallow, maybe ventless) This FP will be raised and there will be candle-type sconces on the walls. It will be a very spa-like, "pretty" pool room, not an industrial-looking one (it is just steps away from the main living area of the house).

I've been checking out indoor pools for the past few years, and have only seen industrial-looking rooms, nothing like I'm planning. (The pools at the Spa at Grove Park Inn in Asheville NC come the closest to the look I want, although it is all natural stone, and I want a more white look, with an 'aqua' pool and aqua glass tile accents.)

What material should we put on the walls? We've thought about a thin stone or tile veneer, or maybe Hardi-plank board? I don't want a painted wall in there. And wasn't really wanting a cottage-y look, either. The floor will be a tan natural stone paver.

My GC does not have a lot of ideas on this room, having never built one before. I met with 2 of the most popular pool installers here, and one showed me an indoor installation in a glass "sunroom"....which was nice...this pool was very small, and he said you just need a basic humidifier.

One wall will be glass (DH's weight room, which will overlook the pool room) and the other 3 walls are brick exterior with a number of windows. One section of wall will be large folding doors which will open up the pool area to the patio, which is off the family room area. Several skylights are in the ceiling.

The pool can only be about 13 x 25.

Any ideas or input? Many thanks.

Comments (3)