SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenmaness_gw

Fluorescent Recessed Lights - Pros and Cons?

karenmaness
14 years ago

We are getting ready to remodel, including taking down an old fluorescent box and breakfast area light and installing 12 recessed lights. My husband is addicted to CFLs and we have them all over the house. I don't mind them too much except for the fact that they take too long to come on. He is wanting CFLs in the new cans as well. I do like the bulb longevity and cooler operating temp of the CFLs, but I worry that I won't end up liking them in the kitchen. I've been reading and researching, trying to figure out which end is up in the world of recessed lighting. I like the 5" cans and have seen that you can get them in a fluorescent option, but they tend to be pricey. My understanding is that once we install a fluorescent housing, that's the only kind of bulb we will be able to use in that can? If so, this would prevent us from switching to something else if we end up not liking the fluorescents in the cans. If you put up 5" "regular" cans, can you put fluorescent bulbs in those? If there is a way to install the housings such that you get flexibility in the type of bulb you can use, I'd like to hear about it. I would also like to have a dimmer, but understand that isn't possible with CFLs. If you have CFLs in your kitchen, how do you like them? Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments (12)