SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
napa_girl

Pros/Cons of Fluorescent cans vs. Incandescent cans w/ CFL bulbs?

napagirl
16 years ago

Can someone please tell me the pros and cons of installing true fluorescent cans & lamps, versus incandescent cans and CFL lamps?

I'm in California, but not under the new Title 24 2005 regulations. We got our bldg permit in 2004, we so don't have to use fluorescent cans in the kitchen. But I do want to lower my electric bill.

I've tried to research the difference but I'm still confused. I've found dimmable CFL's for incandescent cans, but not any dimmable fluorescent tubes for fluorescent cans ... do they even make them? I'm thinking if I want a dimmer I must use CFL's in an incandescent can, which may stick out the bottom of the can ???

Does a fluorescent can give better light than an incandescent can with a CFL? Would I have more options later if I used an incandescent can? Maybe I should forget the dimmer. Do fluorescent cans cost a lot more than incandescent? Are 5" cans a good choice? So many decisions ... the electrician is coming soon and I need to decide.

FYI, the 4x12 island will have two 5-lite chandeliers on a dimmer (probably separated w/3 cans). There will be cans on one long wall and across the short end wall, along with UC fluorescent lights. (The other side of the island is a walkway.)

Hope I haven't scared anyone away with too many questions and too much info. TIA for all your help and guidance.

Comments (11)