SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanjn_gw

Constipated cat

susanjn
14 years ago

I just got back from the vet where my cat, Grey, had an enema under anesthesia for constipation (oh, the indignity). She's now acting completely normal, has eaten some canned food (Wellness) and water.

They did some lab work, and other than GLU (glucose?) level of 191 mg/dL, everything was within normal range. The vet also noticed a heart murmur for the first time. We believe she has Manx Syndrome, but she is 6+ years old which is older than expected for a cat with that condition. Maybe we're seeing the beginning of her decline. She weighed 8lb. 10oz., down almost a pound from last year.

So now I'm researching prevention of constipation. I've read about fish oil and pumpkin. What types of fish oil and how much? How much pumpkin? Would I use these every day or just occasionally?

The vet did give me general written instructions to bring her back in if she goes without having a BM for more than two days, but nothing about prevention. I can email her about that. Basically my brain turned to mush beyond the moment while I was there.

TIA,

Susan - happy to see my sweet pretty kitty more comfortable

Comments (9)