SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidr_2002

New footers, new sewer line - what about tree roots?

DavidR
16 years ago

Sorry, this is probably longer than it needs to be, but I'm trying to include all the information that might be necessary.

I have a rental house for which the county is requiring that I disconnect the footer drains from the sanitary drain. (This area has major problems with the sanitary drains becoming overburdened during rainstorms.) This is going to be a fairly substantial project.

The county inspected the installation and pronounced my sewer lateral unsatisfactory, so I'll have to have it replaced at the same time. This is actually fine with me as I've been putting off sewer line work that I knew was needed literally for years, sending out the drain auger guys a couple times a year.

The county crew ran a camera into the drain line and here's what their report says. I'm going to quote this in its entirety because I'm not sure what's important and what isn't, so hang on ...

15' goes right, 10' goes left into main lat, goes left 45 deg, 32' co top and goes down, 36' dip to clay, 75% blockage/roots, 38' could not push any more.

(Most of this I understand, though I have no clue what "co top" means. I assume "dip to clay" means the cast iron (?) goes into a clay pipe at that point.)

The county report is very specific on what is to be done. In addition to lateral replacement, it calls for:

• Replacement of the cellar floor drain
  • Footers to be moved to sump crock and sump pump fitted
  • Downspouts to be drained into new lines to street, which also drain sump pump

I have three bids on this job. One is so vague that it pretty well eliminates itself.

The other two bids are a little way apart in the dollar department.

The low one is, admittedly, also a bit vague: "$3000-3500, estimate may vary if unforeseen problems arise underground." This estimate actually calls for capping off the former footer connections to the floor drain, which I'm concerned may not meet the county's requirements (see above). It specifies 6" PVC for the new sewer lateral.

The other estimate is markedly higher, a bit over $4000. It includes "replace sanitary lateral" but does not specify size or material. I assume they would use PVC. (Yes? No?)

This higher estimate also calls for removing a medium size tree that is growing near (possibly almost over) the sewer line; they quote $300 just for that.

I have no particular attachment to this tree; it's kind of a scrawny runt anyway. My question is, is this necessary? If new PVC is run, won't it resist root intrusion better than the old clay pipe?

What do you experts think?

1. Should I dig a little deeper into the wallet and let the higher-priced guys remove the tree?
  2. Is that lower bid still too vague?
  3. If I go with the cheaper bid, should I tell them to fit a new floor drain rather than capping the old footer connections?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Comments (19)