SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

When do you call the vet?

newhomeseeker
15 years ago

My 7 month old kitten threw up several times last night. I could tell she wasn't feeling well as she didn't play as much as she normally does and she hid under the couch for a few minutes. She also always cuddles with me at night and she was on the bed but at the very end and didn't purr at all if I pet her. Instead she sort of acted as if she was irritated by me and moved away. Around midnight she cried this loud cry and then threw up what looked like everything she'd eated the entire day. (A LOT of food!!) The last time she'd eaten was about four hours prior to this. She then drank some water and jumped back on the bed. She threw up twice more (just liquid) during the night. Around 4am she was crying and scratching in the attached bathroom at the bathtub (like she was frantically digging up cat litter) so I grabbed her and ran her downstairs to her litter box and she had diarhea (very bad) for about two minutes (I have five litter boxes and she used four of them)

Back in September after coming back from a week vacation she acted like she didn't feel well and then started throwing up and after that she refused to eat for 3 or 4 days. I took her to the vet and they put her on iv fluids, gave her antibiotics but never found out what was wrong with her. She recovered after two treatments with iv fluids and I brought her home and one night she just started eating on her own.

It was a scary ordeal (she was a young kitten then and dehydration can be fatal) and last night when she started throwing up I thought she was going through the same thing she did a few months ago. I was going to call the vet as soon as they opened today. This morning before she had the attack of diarhea I had thought she was feeling better because she "talked" to me and jumped up on the bed and snuggled and purred like she normally does. A few hours later she was sick though. I've locked her in my bedroom so I can monitor what she eats (she may have eaten needles off the artificial xmas tree because she keep climbing it) So far she has eaten almost a whole can of soft food (her appetite seems fine now) and she drank a little water and has peed twice in about 2 hours. She has thrown up again yet. I am worried because of what happened last time but this time at least she is eating for now. Should I take her to the vet? I have another cat that throws up every time she eats too fast (she just did this today) so its not as though I freak out every time one of them throws up. But my kitten has never done so except for the one time she was very ill.

Comments (14)