SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hmlinca

diy folks - need advice from you and pb's

hmlinca
15 years ago

Hello all, I've been reviewing the posts and images here for some time, thanks to all of you that take time to put info on this forum it is truly a help. I'm undertaking a DIY pool build, mainly in the infancy stage right now, and would appreciate some expertise from others who have done this as well as experienced PB's willing to offer advice. I should say that for those of you which have had bad experiences and are recommending to stay away from a DIY, I am a licensed civil engineer in California and I am familar with building materials, drawings, piping, etc., so I'm fairly comfortable I can handle dealing with subs and speaking "their language".

I'll be preparing my own site plan for the backyard and pool and I am working on a layout right now. Being an engineer I like to be overly prepared when taking on a new type of design in which I'm not able to draw upon my previous design experience. I'm searching for reference materials, books, articles, webpages, peoples stories etc. that I can use during my design. Specifically, I'm trying to become educated on pool equipment, piping layout/configurations, electrical, the mechanics of pool building, etc. I won't need information regarding structural design of the pool as I've already purchased the plan & details for this. I won't be performing the actually construction myself but I will need to QC the sub's work and will be verifying a each stage. Having a design background I know first hand that there are many, many aspects of construction (and design) that are really only learned through on-the-job experience, all those "rules of thumb" are invaluable to draw upon during the process. I would greatly appreciate anyone who could offer advice in this regard, thank you.

Comments (9)