SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goneriding_gw

Some help from you horse folks

goneriding
18 years ago

Hi there:

OK. I have a mild scenario that I need some advice on. I had my 2 yo stud gelded a week ago this coming Friday. I purchased a 5 year old mare with a 4.5 month old filly on her side and she is in foal again due in February 2006. The mare has a skin disorder and foundered (?) on me - I have a question mark because no actual diagnosis was given however she is taking bute and her front legs are sore. She now has a skin disorder weird looking sores all over her - see picture below. The baby is ready to be weaned - mama keeps kicking at her and pushing her away. I would like to put the gelding in with the baby and move the mother to a smaller pen to get her back to health and wean the baby. What do you all think about that? Should I wait or go ahead and move them around? The mare is on antibiotics for the skin condition and needs to have her feet soaked every night in epson salt. I think that having the baby in the pasture with her could be causing extra stress on her legs and that the gelding/baby would be better off together? Thanks for your feedback.

http://www.jackandjillmarketing.com/roleata.jpg

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County