SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ecsmom

peninsula, island, or just plain crazy?

ControlfreakECS
13 years ago

After a long time of reading on this forum, paying close attention to how we use our kitchen, and hopefully some learning, I have decided to post some new layout ideas.

Background - nothing in our kitchen is horrible, but it is construction grade and doesn't work well for our 2 cook family, not to mention adding in the 2 up-and-coming cooks. Basically, when we decided to enclose an existing porch (concrete foundation and roof already there) we also decided to open up the kitchen to the new space and try to make it our dream kitchen in the process. DH and I both love to cook, not as much baking. From the minute we moved in over 4 yrs. ago, we hated the current location of the fridge and quickly found ourselves doing lots of butt bumping between the island and sink. My realization that the sink issue is a large part of the problem is what led me to squeeze in a prep sink in the newest layouts below - I know it's location is odd, that's probably why I've been a bit nervous to post. I also have moved the kitchen 2 ft. into the proposed family room, but that leads to an odd inside corner. We will very likely need a support column between the kitchen and new room - that's what the dark square in the upper right is. The biggest complication (besides the small size) is the fact that we have one short wall available to us. In trying to come up with a layout, I have certainly come to realize why the original designers put the refrigerator where it is now, but has made me no less determined to change it. Here goes:

1st floor as we imagined when we decided to add on new family room and convert old one to mud/laundry space. 1 sq = 1 ft

peninsula plan , my biggest worry is that you walk in the front door and have no visual barrier to the kitchen, and also the kitchen table and sideboard are staying . . . aisle issue? 1 sq.=6"

Island plan - am leaning toward this right now, but know that the clean-up sink on the island is controversial. Keep in mind that "spread out" homework, gift wrapping, etc. is done at the kitchen table.

Here is a link that might be useful: my original thread

Comments (23)