SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luvnlife_09

Final tweaking process! Huge appliance garage and cabinet heights

luvnlife_09
15 years ago

This is the last weekend that I have to get this right...By Monday the cabinet maker needs to start....I've been lurking here for months, never thinking I'd get brave enough to post, but desperation forces the issue!:) I think the basic layout is good, but there are little things that could make a big difference in overall "pop" or lack thereof. The island is a separate issue, and none of the layout plans I have are right...I'm trying to get the perimeter right so cab guy can get started while I agonize on getting the island the right size and shape. (It needs to be downsized to stay inside the outside lines, overhang and all--and I may just go with a big rectangle instead) Maybe that will need to be another post altogether. Ok here's a list of concerns:

1) Blind Corner: The appliance garage looks more like an appliance shed. This is due to building in the microwave AND having that corner cabinet raised. So do I need to a.) find another place for the microwave so it can be downsized somewhat, b.) Cab. guy said he could take about 2" off the corner unit and still fit the microwave, but it would make the cabinet to the left 2" bigger than the one next to the fridge--(would this really be noticable?), or c.) just get rid of the appliance garage underneath so the whole thing won't look so huge, or OR...do you think it isn't so bad and just leave it?? (PS: I just looked at the front view and see that the micro. looks wonky in the corner....This has been corrected to fill the space right)

2) Cabinet Heights: I like the staggered look. I want the area around the coooktop to be a focal point, so feel that those cabinets need to be raised. Also feel the corner, the cabs above fridge, and above wall ovens should be raised as well....Open to suggestions here. SO, if they are raised, should the high ones go all the way to the ceiling or be dropped down 4-6" to incorporate over-the-cab-lighting, with the lowered ones 6" lower than that. Our ceiling is 8' high. What will give the appearance of height?

3) Cooktop Area: I've played around with cabinet widths on either side of the bump out around the cooktop and hood, and have sort of ended up with symmetry with the lowers. There are little spice boxes on the counter to the uppers. They are about 8" deep. I think they will be functional and give the appearance of columns around the cooktop. Wonder if this area needs something?

I'm sure that as this thread progresses, I will have more questions. Thanks so much in advance for your help!

As a side note...this kitchen is open to both the dining area (on the left side of the drawing--with view to back yard and big pond) with entry door coming in beside the fridge, and open to the living room (across from the cooktop wall).... The door/room to the right of the wall ovens is currently a powder room, but we will be slicing off the corner to give an angled entrance to a pantry instead--(don't like bathrooms right by kitchens!:( ) Now I'm not sure if any of this makes visual sense, but you may ask questions and I'll try to give you an explanation. Thanks so much!!

{{gwi:1734316}}

{{gwi:1734317}}

{{gwi:1734318}}

Comments (24)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus