SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
61tinkerbell

11 months later - we finally hung a picture!! (Pictures)

tinker_2006
12 years ago

It's been a grueling, none stop, exhausting 11 months. We STILL have so, so much to do, but I have almost completed the dining & living room painting! I actually spent the last few days hanging pictures and trying to make it feel like we actually live here!

Almost all of it is my "old" stuff, from a different house with a totally different feel, so now I get to start thinking of what to keep and what to toss. I'm finding that most of my pictures just don't work in this house, and I have moved them out to my shed to see at some point.

My sofa's are new, slipcovered from Ballard Designs. I'm just not sure what to keep and what to replace, or if I should hire an interior decorator to help!! I have a good decorating budget.... so bring it on!

I didn't plan on keeping the rugs, but I think they look okay..? I want a vintage, coastal cottage feel.. but I'm not really feeling it. I have thick skin, and would love all your thoughts (positive & negative).

THINGS I STILL NEED T DO

#1 - Fireplace Mantel - we are working on that!!

From just moving in

(that is actually another room behind sofa - french doors will be on it soon - that room was a porch at one time - 75 years ago)

From just moving in
From just moving in
From just moving in
From just moving in

HERE I'M STUMPED!! I have a good size space left behind the sofa...

From just moving in
From just moving in
{{gwi:1659553}}From just moving in
From just moving in
From just moving in

Old stuff

From just moving in
From just moving in
From just moving in

Planning on adding a floor lamp here...

From just moving in

Dining Room, I don't love the rug color in this house (it is rusty )

From just moving in
From just moving in

Corner cabinets were stripped to bare wood, new hardware.

From just moving in
From just moving in

These accessories are new (homegoods is only 2 minutes away!!)

From just moving in

Comments (29)

• daisychain01
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm always so thrilled when I see a post from you. Just adore your space.

I like the rugs. They are muted enough to go with your coastal vibe. I'm not loving the dark heavy wood furniture. I could see rustic or industrial type pieces or pale painted things instead. I'm thinking simpler lines and lighter tones. The coffee table seems especially out of place. Maybe one of the heavy dark pieces could anchor the space, but right now it seems like they are dominant and the light airy sofas (which I love) are overwhelmed by them.

You could paint the things you have now, but I'm not sure if their lines are right for the room. Might be better to start over.

Love the things you purchased at HS. I think you have a good instinct for what will work. Look what you've done so far!

• Oakley
    12 years ago

This is why I come here, to see homes like your's!

I like the coffee table. It goes well with the other wood. The only thing I'd do is add light colored accessories to the table. You could paint the tray a lighter color.

The window behind the sofa. I can easily see a rectangle table with 2 chairs. I used to have something similar in front of a large window and I'd spend much of my downtime sitting there drinking coffee and looking out the window.

With a view like your's, I would definitely do that.

Good job!

• Related Discussions

Finished - Before/After pictures (finally!)

Q

Comments (129)
    birdly... makes total sense that you had to redo stuff if it were that one employee - you should have heard the subcontractors complain about that employees work :) The nice thing is Mark had them redo stuff without argument - a friends contractor fought him and tried to charge him on every little thing that he asked to be redone (and we are talking some obvious things) If you want I can let him know that my glowing review of his work was slightly tainted by a deck that took too long - he won't like that! Its sad that he was late for yours becuase both the person at international kitchens and the person I got the sink from commented on how hes on time. For me he was about 1 month late but given the circumstances that was not bad. Its surprising about the communication - he was great for me. It does sound like he was putting all his effort into my project - did you let him know that you were doing a kitchen and becuase he didn't handle the small project well he misses out on the bigger one? (FYI the contractor that was awful for my friend was Chermak construction - it was a 100k+ project and they tried to charge him when the electrician put in a 3 bank switch that only needed 2 switches so the electrician left a switch that did nothing - they told my friend that a "do nothing" switch was an "acceptable solution" - that was the worst example but there were tons of things like that). I am 95% sure Mark got the doors through PCS Millwork. They were WAY cheaper (talking less than 1/2) the cost of the equivalent doors through the lumber yard he normally uses. gwent, nightowl was asking about the dining lights - if you search (ctrl+f) the thread for "nightowl" and read those posts you should get all the details on the lights. For the pulls, believe it or not we got them at Loews. I went to all the fancy shops for a couple weeks stressing about hardware and finally stumbled on them at Loews of all places.
    ...See More

KSWL's Basement is Finally Finished.... Many Pictures!

Q

Comments (60)
    With pleasure, nanny----they were purchased online from Grandinroad, the less expensive arm of Frontgate. They were very reasonable, well made, and (surprisingly) actual leather. For the price I was expecting pleather :-) I have linked to them below. Here is a link that might be useful: Grandinroad ottomans
    ...See More

Finished Kitchen: FINALLY!!! (lots of pictures)

Q

Comments (55)
    Late to the comment game, but WOW! You did an amazing job! I wish I had a your GC here! I am sending your pics to my GC. Had we planned to do a full overlay, I was going to do exactly what you are doing. However, I want to do Ikea in the rest of the house & GC is giving me a hell of a hard time. I am almost to the point where I am going to back those areas out of the contract & have someone else do them. Well done & I hope you really enjoyed your new space over the holidays!
    ...See More

Final Kitchen Reveal - Thank you GW!(lots of pictures!)

Q

Comments (119)
    Hello. I know I'm coming to your kitchen party late, but your kitchen is very close to what I am thinking of installing. Maybe you can answer a few questions? I have almost settled on the Cambria Buckingham, but I am worried it will make the kitchen too dark. I am having cabinets made, the stain will be very similar to the cabinets you installed. My floor is a white/off white porcelain tile (existing). I don't have can lights, only pendants over the islad, sitchen sink and light from west facing windows. I would love to know how you feel about your backsplash a many years later? I am thinking of using a plain subway tile, but worried it is too plain for the gorgeous Cambria. Thanks for any help you can throw my way!
    ...See More
  • DLM2000-GW
    12 years ago

Vintage Coastal Cottage? Yes, please. Honestly, I suppose I could really study and pick apart a thing or two (not crazy about the lamp on the console table), but I'm more interested in the overall feel and look. I love it, love the fresh open feel, the mix of dark and light, Home goods and timeless quality. Yes, it needs a bit more 'fluffing but that comes over time, don't rush it. I like the dining rug and unless you are seeing something in person that doesn't show in the photo, I wouldn't rush to replace until you find something that makes you swoon. Love the table at the window idea from oakley. I would suggest the same thing or possibly a 'ladies' type desk' that can serve both purposes. Take advantage of the light and view, keep the pieces open (no big slipped, tall chairs, there) so they don't block light or view.

What is the paint color - great choice!

• bestyears
    12 years ago

One benefit to taking your time is you get a wonderfully, evolving space like you have!!!! You're doing such a great job.....

Couple of ideas: What about a drop leaf table (with a chair) at the window behind the sofa? It would be a nice spot to sit and look at a magazine with a cup of coffee, to do a puzzle, play a game, eat a light supper, etc. I'm picturing something old with a narrow top (maybe 12"?) and a deep drop down. The small piece you have to the right of the fireplace -I think maybe something a tad taller? Also, to me, that would be a fabulous place for a spark of color -maybe a turquoise dresser?

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

It is so hit or miss but doesn't HomeGoods rock when you find something that works? LOL. Your corner cab accessories are perfect! The rest of the rooms you showed look quite charming, too!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    12 years ago

Lovely home, and great job. Very pleasant space. I really like the color of the dining room rug with the furniture, so I wouldn't change it.

A couple of suggestions...a runner from the french doors behind the sofa would look great. I think the 2 flower pics on the wall in the dining room are a little small in scale, and the cabinet contents (with london antiques) while lovely looks a little too staged...I think it could be relaxed by mixing up the contents...not just one over one over one. The other book case contents look great. I'd like to see a small table by the chair in the LR...a place to put your book or cup of tea. A light cotton throw on the chair would also soften the look.

Finally, my personal taste always includes window treatments to make it feel a little warmer, even if it is just a valance.

But you've done a great job....keep up the good work!

• enduring
    12 years ago

Hi, lovely digs. Some thoughts that come to mind. I like your "stuff". What makes "cottage"? I would think that it would come from mixture. Mixing things that don't fit in the main home and folks taking them to the cabin/cottage for use. I really don't know about this idea but it make sense, and I am sure there is a theory behind "cottage" design. When I see your space I want to layer a bit more dimension to the living room vignette. It looks a bit flat in color or texture. I love your dinning set and your other pictures of tables etc. I also like the spacious feel of the space extending out to the landscape and water.

• jakefield
    12 years ago

Let me just say that I would be ecstatic if that were my home. I think it is absolutely beautiful, and I love the mix of the dark wood with the light sofas. It will be spectacular when you add a fireplace mantle and french doors. The only little thing I would change would be the baskets you have under your console table. I think I would try larger and slightly darker baskets turned the other way. Just a tweak I would try, but that's just me. You have a perfect home as far as I am concerned. Just wondering what part of the country you are in. Best of luck as you continue on. I will be anxious to see more pictures!

• Fun2BHere
    12 years ago

I love the proportions of your rooms and the natural light flooding the spaces. My one suggestion would be to stop going to HomeGoods and instead check out local galleries and antique shops. Find watercolors or oils that appeal to you and replace your framed prints with vintage works or those from local talents. Look for some larger works to give more texture and presence in your rooms. Put the books and magazines you are reading in the bookshelves (I see you have some, use more) rather than just decorative objects. Stack your china, glassware, flower vases or other collection in those corner cabinets. In other words, go for an authentic use and I think you will find that the look is warmer and more inviting than if you fill spaces with objects purchased as filler.

Personally, I like your mix of the wood and lighter upholstered pieces, but I'm not a huge fan of those shabby chic rooms with no contrast. Congratulations on owning a beautiful home. I can't wait to see how the decor progresses.

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

I love, love, love your home. My only suggestion would be to paint the dining room a darker, warm color to bring in the rug. I think it would be very cozy.

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

OMG you are so talented! Everything looks so beautiful. I love the mix of dark and light in the living room and the coffee table is big enough to be used by the people sitting on either sofa. I think it's perfect.

I do agree with Fun2BHere's suggestion that you mix in some authentic use items on your dining shelves. I always feel a little bit like I'm in a store when every spot is used for decorative items.

I wouldn't want to block any part of the living room window with furniture. I think I would try making a garden there. Maybe you could have a big box custom made, and then change out pots of things as they bloom. Sitting in that chair, reading by the flowers would be so nice. And some uplights for nighttime drama would finish it off.

• loribee
    12 years ago

I could happily move right in. Lovely space....keep going!!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your feedback, it really, really helps.. and this old 1937 Florida home would not look like it does without everyone here on this Gardenweb!

I really have learned so much from posts and pictures along the years.

The color on the walls is SW Creme' - and it's the lightest colors I have ever used in a home before and it just makes me smile!

Thankfully - ALL the pictures are old, old, old... and I just can't wait to start shopping for some old antique's! I'm almost there... just a few more months of painting and fine tuning (putting doorknobs on, window hardware, etc...) and I'll be shopping and decorating full time!

I like the idea of chairs by the window, which got me thinking about a bench. I found a great one that is in that empty room, but perhaps it is too dark and too tall...

From Sunrise Drive
    From Sunrise Drive

RE: Window treatments... I WAS ready to rush out and buy something, anything.. but everyone really suggested I wait. I waited because I really had no time to spend thinking about it, but I have discovered that I actually do like the bare windows. The view is AMAZING.... I think the unadorned windows makes the outside seem in. But, I may change my mind!!

You all are so encouraging, I self doubt myself and my decorating all the time thinking it looks amateur, even though friends and family say I have a knack for it, so thank you!!

• Jeane Gallo
    12 years ago

Please don't hire a decorator, you have a wonderful eye and I love what you've done so far. I love the bench you put in front of the window, but think the two suggestions of a drop leaf or ladies desk might be a better fit for that spot.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

Lovely cottage! I love all the light, bright paint and sofas. Beautiful chair in the living room also. Here's my 2 cents worth.

I think the rug in the dining room is fine - you could pull another color from the rug if you wanted to accent and pull attention away from "rusty", but I really didn't read rusty on my monitor.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you want vintage, coastal - I would ditch most of the pictures and accessories. Instead of Home Goods, use things that have meaning to you and your family - your life. Collected items. If you don't have things like that you want to use, I would take my time and pick up things in antique stores, flea markets, around the town, etc. Same with your art (which I know you said you want to replace). Look for vintage prints. Check ebay and etsy also. I can see some old floral paintings looking great in your rooms. I'd try to find an old mirror to use somewhere also. Use some other items rather than pictures. Also, some of the pics need to be larger in size.

You've done such a wonderful job! I'd just take my time now with the accessories. Enjoy visiting the antique shops and wait for "just right" pieces. I second the NO to a decorator. You do great on your own and you want your home to reflect YOU. Please continue to share your progress!!

tina

• ttodd
    12 years ago

At work and scrolled super fast through your pictures so that I could comment - I love it!!!!!!

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

It's all gorgeous...you're a lucky girl to be
    surrounded by such beauty everyday!
    love the bench too!

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

Just wanted to say it looks lovely. I think artwork is personal, so you know what works for you. Love your sofas. Also, empty space is not a bad thing. I love the space in front of your windows. I wouldn't be in a hurry to fill it up with things. Perhaps a small table in your style with some bird books and a pair of binoculars - looks like you may have a very nice view from the windows? Can't be sure, no cheaters so if I am off, forget the binoculars and bird books, lol.

Agree with tina. Although I don't know where you are located to suggest places for "finds" that may not be original to you.

Great job.

• jb1586
    12 years ago

Your home is lovely! Not to hijack your thread, and maybe you have mentioned this before in a previous thread, but could you tell me if your dining room set is new, and if so, which manufacturer? It is beautiful, and would be perfect for our dining space in our new condo. Thank you and congratulations on your beautiful home!

• Lake_Girl
    12 years ago

Your home is always beautiful! I think you could add baskets, which are always great in a coastal decor. How about a nice tobacco basket hanging on the wall (I've got one hanging that was my grandmother's). I would be careful not to choose too many small pictures and things, and don't worry about covering every open wall space. I think a few well-loved larger pieces can look better than too many small pieces. Also, put seashells in containers and use to fill spaces. Give it time, and collect things you love. Find inspiration pics and hone in on the things you like about them, and emulate them.

• nhb22
    12 years ago

I don't have any comments or suggestions, but just wanted to say that "I am in love" with your home! :) Everything looks perfect to me. Oh, and that view!!! Don't cover it up.

• Arapaho-Rd
    12 years ago

First, let me say how much I love your home! The setting, style and your hardwork at renovating have turned it into a stunner! The only thing I can suggest and it's such a minor thing - to move the sofas back off the edge of the area rug. I noticed your new railing on your porch through one of the windows - maybe I missed the picture but if you haven't posted one would love to see it. That bench is a beautiful piece!

• PDQ2
    12 years ago

I don't have any suggestions either, because you have already done a beautiful job! You've accomplished what I want my home to look like. Love the color too and was wondering if you could you please give me the SW Creme' No. that you used on the walls and also the trim color? Have fun antique shopping!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    12 years ago

The bench is beautiful, but not a fan of it in front of the window...it needs a solid wall behind it so you can really appreciate its curves.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Very pretty!

I would not use any window treatments, if you can get away with it (I can't tell if that is a road or a path in front of your window). We have no window treatments at all except in the guest room. I like the having the light and views.

I think you might need some color (throws, or throw pillows, but only if yo'ud actually use them)

I might rethink the light fixture. If you do need a fan I would buy a very traditional. simple one, and paint it the same color as your ceiling. If not, I would add a chandelier, maybe verdigris or distressed metal.

I also think that it would be nice to have something that seems Floridian. Without looking out the window, i'd think "New England". I'm not suggesting pink flamingoes, but something to give the feel or where you are. Maybe even just bringing in some colors of the water. (muted, pale).

I would cease and desist on Home Goods, which I think is good for staging but can end up a little soulless, kwim? Plus accessories are the fun part! Don't let Home Goods' buyers have all the fun!

I remember when you posted this home when you first bought it --- it looks great!

• homeagain
    12 years ago

Tinker,

I love your home and have enjoyed watching it come together. You have done an amazing job returning your home to it's original charm with the renovation. The fireplace turned out beautifully as did the kitchen.

I have to ask before I comment wrongly, what look you are going for? I know you have said cottage but are you planning on English cottage or Coastal cottage?

• User
    12 years ago

I couldn't agree more with Mtnrd's comment on Home Goods knick knacks, there is no reason to pile up a bunch of meaningless junk to clutter such a beautiful house. Why not try out some useful pottery or stacked dishes in the two hutches? I also understand the desire to get pictures hung, I finally found a suitable arrangement for my dining room after 3.5 years in this house, but the two pics in the dining room are too small for the space. Maybe try the bench under the two pics in the dining room, decorative dishes would also look nice with the paneling. Linked below is a dining room that is similar in style to your taste and could be of inspiration.

Here is a link that might be useful: dining room makeover

• rafor
    12 years ago

Love the bench!! Also love the wood paneled dining room and built ins.

Nothing says beachy to me more than some blues or greens mixed with the whites. But then I love blues!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone, I'll try and answer all the questions!

Blue, never has been a favorite color of mine... until now! I just love the blue gray colors - but not sure how they work with the rugs - that have no blue in at all.

Front porch railing - yes, it was installed Friday! I'm excited about it - took 5 months to get! I posted an update on the front door thread.

The SW Creme is in the big white color brochure. It is SW 7556 Creme, it really is such a pretty, soft color!

The dining room table is 3 years old, I found it locally and ordered it online from Lexfurniture (saved a lot!!) It is by Lorts (http://www.lorts.com) and available with or without a plank top.

Great, great, great suggestions!! I can hardly wait to start shopping, but I know taking my time is important! I need to decide on a mantel... we have been playing around a bit - but a week ago.. DH almost cut his thumb off on a table saw! He had surgery Friday to reattach all the nerves and the tendon, and he will be okay - but it is putting a halt to some of our restoration.

homeagain, Coastal Cottage or English Cottage.. I'm not sure! I know I don't really want Shabby Chic, and I love coastal cottage, but I do find I'm drawn to English Cottage as well... a bit of design confusion!

So, so much to think about - so glad I have all you helping me along the way!!!