SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

KSWL's Basement is Finally Finished.... Many Pictures!

User
9 years ago

Our Basement is Finished!

Well, almost, still working on bathroom and now waiting for things on walls, but we are using it and it is magically comfortable. My favorite colors are green and red, and these rooms use many shades of both with a kind of fun segue, the red into orange and green into small but noticeable touches of aqua.

Front room

Not happy with stained recessed shelving above, it will be painted the color of the trim.
Prints below are vintage book covers of natural history volumes, three are German, one in English: a couple of close ups:

Daybeds in front room (small custom table in area where they meet with fitted tableskirt and wood and iron lamp

Lamp detail (it is only 8" wide and very thin, fits table scale perfectly)

You will have to imagine four enormous botanical prints above the daybeds, lol. Below a shot from other direction at night:

Replacing the original picture with one now showing the botanical prints above daybeds:

Pillow detail:

And since original pix were taken, cocktail table has been replaced by two small, cute leather ottomans, one with a bronze gallery tray:

Console, mirror, majolica, sconces

Closer: rattan console with candlesticks and a glass vase purchased for the room

Some details:
Majolica asparagus plate in aqua and olive green

One of a pair

French piece I already owned

Art Deco ceramic candlesticks

Adding a later picture with the majolica plate wall finished, below. The new pieces add pink to the color scheme in vintage German and French plates
(one on either side) to pick up the pink in one of the botanicals that finally came for the adjacent long wall, which is the next photo after this one.

One side of FP seating area

Brass lamp detail

Minton dish

Other side of seating area, with faux bois ceramic lamp in a metallic glaze

Head on fireplace from pool table (this is dark because we need dimmers for all lights, even sconces are too bright!)

With chairs swiveled around (chairs look close to pool table but are actually about five feet from it, perspective is off and I'm a terrible photographer).

Fireplace detail one side of tv screen; copper and antique French containers I had already, the small ceramic pitcher we bought

Other side, combination of new and antique but all stuff I had already

Already owned bowl made by a friend filled with 3D glasses :-)

Closer on two prints:

Funny thing about artwork and walls: when I sent ID pictures of the botanical prints he was pretty negative, as even the store photographs did not do them justice and wanted to look for landscape paintings, which is what he knows I like. But here I really wanted a more relaxed feel to the space and loved the sort of biology class feel to the big prints. When he saw them in person he loved them, and even though they are admittedly a bit trendy we are ordering the entire series and using three on the long wall next to the pool table, two over each daybed and two more on bumped out walls in the back room for a total of 13! The walls are very light and he thought using the series all around both rooms would pull them together along with the shared upholstery fabrics. Since we seemed to be moving towards a natural history vibe he scoured my house for majolica and we decided to center our accessory shopping on lamps and majolica. Of course,when we found the book covers of natural history volumes we had to include those.

So I am waiting for nine more prints to arrive from Empirical Style in Australia, and the rest of the majolica to arrive (bought some at Scott's Antiques and have others coming from ebay purchase to hang on outside aspect of sconces over console).

Very successful couple of days, very tired, some mishaps... Furniture arrived early, Microseal arrived late, so furniture, rugs, pillows and pool table will be treated Tuesday. Still need to take light off one ceiling fan but couldn't find disk that caps it off. Bathroom needs a bit more tile, the paneled tub surround (cabinetmaker made to match fireplace paneling) needs trim and Azek tub edge needs paint, still looking for antiqued or satin brass faucet and taps, still waiting for shower curtain, ID wants wants wallpaper in bathroom, and am considering buying this Swedish 8 ft bench for towels, basket of toiletries, etc. It has original finish from 1870s but I want a milk paint /waxed look.

Still considering fabulous pristine mid century 31" round ottoman in orange pleather in front of daybeds, Instead of cocktail table (which we already had). Or nothing, which is my inclination.

And finally, I am deeply satisfied with the transition between the patio and basement{{gwi:9241}}, with the exposed aggregate bordered in brick going into a brick floor. There is a shared palette of greens (and red, yellow and orange in the outdoor sofa pillows) between the inside and out.

This post was edited by kswl on Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 9:28

Comments (60)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH