SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diydevon

painted my front door - I think I really screwed up!

diydevon
15 years ago

My front door was horrid - it was some terrible faded blue color that I think at one time or another matched the shutters of our house, but after decades of abuse from the previous owner it was more then ready to be put out of its misery. Buying a new door just isnt in the current budget so I went out and bought some exterior loatex satin paint in a lovely apple red shade - Ive always wanted a red door. :) well, silly silly silly me wiped down the front door and prepped it in that matter manner, but I didnt prime it!! I dont know how i forgot to do that when I had the primer right next to me, but I did. Now, here I am about 3 coats of red paint and 1 day later and the door feels sticky, and there are a few spots where the paint just wont adhere to it properly. What do i do to fix this? Buying a new door still isnt in the budget.

do i attempt to strip all of the paint off and start again? or can i just prime over the red and repaint?

Its just your typical everday front door that you find in most suburban developments, so nothing fancy in that aspect.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor