SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
knittedrose

DuPont Reverse Osmosis system

knittedrose
12 years ago

We have had a 3 stage, Quick Twist, DuPont, Reverse Osmosis system for a little over a year. A few months ago we ended up with a flood in the kitchen. Water from the unit was leaking out at the base of the RO faucet. Luckily, we were home at the time.

A plumber came to look at it, but knew nothing about RO systems, and couldn't fix it. (he did not charge us for the service call.) I shut off the cold water int he kitchen. A week later our daughter, son in law and family were visiting from out of town. My son in law tracked the problem down to the drain tube. It had been cut on a slant,and was plugged with debris. He cleared the line and all worked well for about 5 weeks. Than the leak occurred again. I think it was because the filters and membrane needed replacing. We were going out of state to visit our other daughter, so once again. I turned the cold water it the kitchen off.

It is now 3 weeks later, today I went and bought a new membrane and 2 new carbon filters. Since they are quick twist, they were fairly easy to get off and on. However, I had to have a friend come and help me get the hose out of the membrane. It took 2 needle nose pliers to do that. No mention of that in the manual.

Read in the manual about how to purge and pressurize the system, did that, then went to refill the tank. Right away it made a strange noise, that sounded like coffee brewing at the end of the brewing cycle. It did this for 2 hours. At the end of 2 hours, (the time recommended in the manual for filing the tank.) I tuned the RO faucet on. A small stream of water came out, then nothing. The noise it was making continued. The leak that had been around the faucet reappeared. So I shut the cold water off and called it quits for the night.

I am thinking that this is related to the drain line being clogged again. My son in law didn't show me where the drain line was, I will read the manual and try and locate it tomorrow, hoping it will be easy to find and get lose. Where do I go from here? Am I on the right track?

I saw a post that started to address this problem at the end of another post. The poster was directed to repost it in another place, but when I did a search for it I couldn't find it. I'm sorry if I am reposting something that has already been addressed. I am not very good at fixing type of thing, I've never tried to do it before. My husband is blind, so I have to try and fix it. Please be patient with me, if I don't understand right away, ask dumb questions or am not clear in explaining things. Any and all help is appreciated. I am tired of not having any cold water in the kitchen. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Comments (13)