SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tackysue_gw

Layout Challenge!

tackysue
16 years ago

First let me say that I love this forum! I stumbled on it randomly and now I can't leave! Anyway, we're in the design stage of our kitchen makeover and we are really stumped on how to configure it. Here's the layout:

{{!gwi}}

Currently the kitchen is totally blocked off from the rest of the house. The simplest way to go about the rework is to just take down the wall (red) between the kitchen and dining space. And that'll work. But one of our big "wants" is to be able to see out to the patio/backyard while working in the kitchen. So my hubby wants to rotate the kitchen along the north (top) wall adding in a window (or two).

We've got a big but not limitless budget. We're not into fancy appliances or custom furniture grade cabinetry. So we're hoping to save money by using less expensive versions of those types of things. Then use the savings toward all that moving around.

We've played with a bunch of designs but our biggest issue is the sheer size of the space. I really like a tight work triangle (I know zones are better but the triangle works for me right now so I'm hesitant to change that). It seems like everything we've come up with is soooo spread out! I'll be walking 18 feet 40 times a day! Not cool...

Another challenge is the area where the dining space is currently, is raised. It's a poured concrete step that is about 3 inches tall. We'll have to chip it out ($$$) unless we can figure out a way to make it work with the new design.

*Our main goals are to:

Open kitchen to rest of house

Kitchen to have better view of pool patio and backyard

Increase countertop space and number of cabinets

So, here are a few other wants/needs:

*At least one area of lower counter height.

*Can windows or doorways change size? Yes

*Can they be moved? Yes

*Can windows be raised/lowered? Yes

*Can any walls come down? Yes (red one and laundry area)

*Does the sink have to be centered under a window? no, can be in an island

*I'm not a gourmet or baker generally, but part of that is because of this kitchen config. I can't see my kids while I'm in there so I'm in and out fast!

*Range or Cooktop: either but we're partial to induction cooktop with sep. oven

*Single or Double or no Wall Oven: either, we're wanting an oven/micro combo (has to be near cooktop as I use it alot)

*Warming Drawer: na

*Standard: diswasher

*Fridge: standard probably though I REALLY want an all fridge all freezer combo...dream kitchen!!

*Vent Hood: Downdraft probably

*Sizes of desired appliances: Not sure exactly. I definately want a 30 inch oven and 5 burner cooktop.

*Pantry: Cabinets that pull out.

*Cabinetry: I prefer drawers of pullout shelves to standard lower cabinets. And LOTS of them! I'm short so upper cabinets have to be well thought out in terms of storage so that I can use them effectively.

Can't live without? Fridge to be acccessible without interlopers crossing into my work space!...

Comments (30)