SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bananafana_gw

washing machine connect to plumbing stack directly?

bananafana
15 years ago

Hi. I need some advice regarding washing machine plumbing.

My daughter and soninlaw have an early 60s house with a full basement. Someone moved the laundry to an inconvenient and very small spot also in the basement. We want to move it back to where it probably was originally.

In the basement where I think was the original laundry, there are two water lines with shutoffs. There is a big plumbing stack near there that runs from basement floor to upstairs, directly where the main floor bathroom is. This is at the front of the house. At the basement level, the big plumbing stack (drain, I think) has a round cover plate about 8 inches off the floor, with four square nubs or bolt things. If I look higher up the stack, near the floor of the main level, there is also a Y and it goes up to the bathroom above.

I'm wondering if a washing machine connects directly to the stack in the basement via the round port with the four nubs. Or somehow to that kind of stack? There is also what feels like a floor drain near there. It's covered with carpet right not, but that is likely what it is.

Seems this is likely to be the original laundry area. Does it sound like we can connect the washer directly to that big plumbing stack? And is this a do it yourself job?

Thanks a million.

Comments (5)