SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonie_57

I am an emotional mess...

moonie_57 (8 NC)
17 years ago

8 days ago I saw this mixed breed dog on petfinders that I thought would be a good match for my mother. She expressed some interest in the dog, a 10 y/o with one eye. We weren't positively interested in adoption but wanted some info. I've spent the last week with my mind wrapped around this dog. For some reason he has found a place in my heart and I have never even seen him, only his photo. I emailed the shelter, which is only 30 miles from me. Got no answer. But it was the day before Thanksgiving so I waited patiently, thinking I would hear back Friday.. then Saturday.. then surely by Monday. A friend didn't get an email that I had sent her so I figured it was an issue with my email. So, I used a yahoo account and emailed the shelter again on Monday thinking I would surely hear something soon. Yesterday the dog's profile had an "urgency" message so I expected to have an email from them by the time I got home from work today. NOTHING! So I went to petfinders and saw that he was now listed as being at a rescue 4 or 5 hours away. I was a mixture of angry and heartbroken.

Anyway, I emailed them and the woman wrote back. She thought my mom or myself may be interested in fostering this dog if we couldn't give a life long commitment. It's possible the dog has not yet left this area and I would prefer he not have to make that long ride if it isn't necessary.

Is it wise to lose your head over a dog sight unseen? He is suppose to be without behavioral or health problems and according to the shelter staff, "great". I would like to get some feedback. Perhaps there are some things I hadn't considered. Even if he wasn't a great suit for whatever reason, I can't imagine that would we would be able to foster and then just give him up.

Thoughts please.

Comments (28)

• tehegemon
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

How frustrating to keep a close watch on the availability of this dog, email the shelter, and not hear back! Bless you for caring!! Like you, I too invested myself in animals I had only seen in photos and/or read about their quirky dispositions ~ and, when I didn't hear back in what I deemed as a timely manner, I was clearly in a bit deep not knowing if the animal was still available.

Did the shelter provide a telephone number? I imagine they must receive a LOT of emails about their animals (not just the dog you're interested in) and answer them between caring for the animals, although I could very well be wrong.

Fostering animals is a wonderful transition for animals in need of their forever homes, although I couldn't do it. Once attached I would not be able to give them up, but that's just me.

Is it wise to lose one's head over a dog sight unseen? Well, I'm surely the wrong person to ask. ;-) We acquired our dogs through breeders and placed our deposits long before their parents were bred. With our first pup, mom-dog lost her litter (early on after the breeding), so we had to wait until the following year for her to be bred again. It was a long wait and well worth every moment ~ but at the time, it seemed like an eternity.

It's not too often one finds another willing to adopt an older dog with a unique physical trait ~ keep us posted!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

~It's not too often one finds another willing to adopt an older dog with a unique physical trait ~

This is why I am so anxious to be getting some info on the dog. It's profile on petfinders expressed how distaught he is from being displaced, not knowing where he was or why he was there. And then the urgency message! Makes me wonder why they weren't right on top of checking for responses and getting back to me immediately.

It was late last night when I emailed the second party and she did respond... immediately! But it was late when I again wrote her back but I waited up very late in the hopes she wouldn't have gone to bed. Had a hard time getting to sleep even though I was hours past my bedtime. Haven't heard back as of this morning. Today I plan on finding the phone number and calling the first shelter. I am no longer practicing patience and letting them respond back at their own leisure. The woman that wrote me back made it sound as if she has not yet moved the dog from this area to hers so.......... maybe he won't have to make that trip.

Keep your fingers crossed that all goes well for this dog, whichever way that may be.

Thank you.

• Related Discussions

I am so happy Wretched mess! Smile

Q

Comments (8)
    April hugs to you Grandma! LOL Couldnt do it withour you. I hope you had a great thanksgiving with your family. It sure feels good to home..... MJ Thank you for the nice comments. I had such a hard time rooting this one. All the other ones so far are doing great. I just love the wretched mess plant. April was kind enough to trade with me and I will never forget it either. Well it is christmas season witch means gun season. Here is my flower he is in the middle. I am having way too much fun with the camera. His best friend is on the right they grew up together. I still cant get over that. I cant imagine knowing someone your whole life. It amazes me. And yes they are like brothers. You would think they had the same parents. I hope they get their deer. Wi in hunting season.....Barb
    ...See More

HELP!! What am I doing wrong? My ceiling is a mess...

Q

Comments (13)
    Hi, I quote your original post: "We took the energy and time to level the ceiling, put up new drywall etc... We then sealed it with an oil based sealer/primer. Waited a few days, then proceeded to paint on a laytex ceiling paint. " You directly state you used an oil based sealer primer. Show us a picture of the labels on the cans. There must be some product incompatibility going on. Rough texture shouldn't appear out of nowhere. When there's a problem I always suspect that the first coats were not allowed to dry fully, esp. if the primer was oil. If it is uncured it will cause mischief with the finish coat, esp. flat latex. Putting more coats on top to affect a remedy actually makes it worse. I'd let it dry a good long time and see what happens. Another thought: you absolutely never put oil primer over new plaster- the caustic components turn the oil in the paint to soap and it peels right off. If the drywall job involved a large quantity of setting-type joint compound, the house is unheated, and the work was finished immediately before painting, then that's a possibility; the moisture still inside the not-fully-cured Durabond is reacting with the oil primer. Casey
    ...See More

Granite installation - mess up? Or am I too picky?

Q

Comments (1)
    No, you're not being too picky. I hope this resolves positively. Pretty wood!
    ...See More

I am One Hot Mess

Q

Comments (14)
    Sorry! I was posting while others posted. I wish I was at home so I could implement the changes you guys have suggested. My3dogs - I love your arrangement. I have seen it on other threads and it is so beautiful. Pier One had some berries that would have paired beautifully with the lanterns. I'll have to go buy some and see how they work. I wasn't really planning on this arrangement just being for fall. I love the color orange (in moderation), and really need some color in my LR. That pillar was going bye-bye, but i do have some raffia that I could wrap around it and maybe find something for the pillar to sit on. rob333 - I have some glass pebbles somewhere...hmm...where are those things? I was planning to cut the lanterns (if I decided to keep them!) and then add something to the bottom to help them stand up straight. I also have some moss laying around here somewhere. I must find something to go underneath. We are a young couple starting off, so I'm gradually adding as I go. However, I have always collected family pieces knowing that someday I would have a home I could display them in. I am wracking my brain though, trying to figure out WHAT could go underneath there that I already have. I'm not a basket kind of girl, but maybe a basket and load it up with pillars of varying heights and some sort of filler in it as well? I do have pillars of more "harvest" colors that I will switch out for the white. I was lucky enough to work for a product design firm fresh out of collage, and I benefited from returned merchandise and/or damaged packaging.
    ...See More
  • livvysmom
    17 years ago

I have e-mailed at least three rescues about certain cats and never got responses. I don't understand it either -- if I were them I would jump all over someoneone's e-mail that is interested in adopting.

I also pursued adopting a cat through a rescue -- 3 weeks and no cat. The "approval process" took over a week and they only wanted to communicate through e-mail -- very slow and frustrating. Anyhow, by the time I got to actually meet the cat (they don't let you until you are approved -- I didn't really love how he responded and intereacted with my kids).

Next time -- I am going to the Humane Society. Our local HS does a good job of screening animals and they are very responsive to prospective adopters.

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

When I did rescue I would keep an eye on local kill shelters and post urgent cases on petfinder along with dogs we had in rescue. It would break my heart we couldn't pull out more but we had a lack of volunteer foster homes.

Shelters usually do not respond to e-mails and encourage people to go down to see the dog. Best thing to do is call and give the volunteer the case number and they can run back and check on the animal your interested in. Sometimes, but rarely, they have a little history on the animal. Most shelters are extremely understaffed.

Many times the dogs/cats are dropped off in the middle of the night and left in drop boxes. I recall one time a one eyed St. Bernard was dropped off in one of those boxes in the middle of the night. It was a box meant for a medium sized dog, he couldn't move. The good news is, he found a wonderful home.

I'm overjoyed the dog is in rescue now. Why not foster him?
    Fostering is a wonderful and rewarding experience.

Here's a little guy we rescued and eventually found a great home. He was so emaciated and fearful of people. He almost died the day I pulled him from a very high kill shelter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shamus

• annzgw
    17 years ago

I've been in the same situation and all I can suggest is to step back and make sure that this is the right decision. I noticed you said your Mother 'expressed some interest' in the dog..........does this mean she wants the dog, no matter what, or she just finds the idea interesting. I don't know your Mother's age, but is this a dog that she can handle while out on a walk and will she be able to get him to a vet easily? Also keep in mind, and I know this can even happen with younger dogs, but he is at an age that health problems can start to show up. Maybe none will, but that has to be considered as a possible additional expense that your Mother will have to bear.

I know a lot of shelters are short staffed and it's not uncommon that the animal you're interested in has others ahead of you that are being interviewed, but what I don't understand is why they don't say this upfront.

Sometimes when things are this difficult, I end up thinking it just wasn't meant to be. :(

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

When things are this difficult, I think people are slobs & I better decide to do "my half & their half, too":

Call, talk to a person, get their name, tell that person you are on your way, give her/him your name & phone #, & go to whatever place this dog is in.

Take your identification, checkbook, & reference list, including vet's name & phont #.

Take along a blanket for the seat.

Sic 'em, girl.

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

I don't wish to start an argument but in defense of the shelters the majority does state.
    "You will need to come to the shelter in person to view our adoptable animals. We have new animals available all the time and it is difficult for shelter staff to give detailed descriptions over the phone."

SPCA is operated through the county. The volunteer's, which there is a lack of, work so hard to place animals. So many quit because it's so heart wrenching. Dogs come and go so quickly it's literally impossible for volunteer's to keep track.

Non-profit shelters (safe havens) should respond to e-mails. They are also swamped but they usually do respond.

Please, if there is an animal at a kill shelter, give them a call, ask to speak to a volunteer as the county staff won't help, or go down as quickly as possible. Strays are put up for adoption after one week if not claimed. Surrendered animals have as little as 3 days to be adopted.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I did call the animal shelter this morning and found out that the dog now belongs to a rescue group, no if's and's or but's, and the dog will be heading north tomorrow morning. This is a good thing as I have corresponded with the rescue person there. She asked me to let her know if we were still interested in possibly fostering/adopting.

Before I received her last email I talked with the rescue coordinator in this area and she said that my mom and I would need to bring mom's dogs to the shelter for the two dogs to meet and then it would be up to the new rescue person what would happen if that worked out. I just now got home from work and my mom is off shopping with friends. So of course there was no way we could get over there in time. Then of course the dog would be making the 5 hour drive north, and if things were to work out, another 5 hour drive back. That's just too much for him. I think I am with annz... it just wasn't meant to be I suppose.

Now the good news! This rescue person sounds great! I really liked her from her emails and the lady here in my area said they were lucky to find someone like her for the dog. It gives me a new love and respect for those of you that foster and work with rescue. So thank you all for the love and generosity that you bestow on our four legged friends!

I can't help the disappointment that I have but finally feel a certain peace about the whole situation that I wasn't feeling before corresponding with the woman. My mom doesn't feel this same peace yet. someone asked if she really wanted the dog no matter what and I would have to say that she felt alot of things.. compassion, duty, pity, a twinge of excitement of taking in an old guy. She dotes on her current dog and he on her. Since my dad died she has more time on her hands and said, concerning this dog, that she might as well have another one to rule her life. We can't even go shopping without having to be home right on time to feed her dog because "he's used to eating at 5:30." Just as my dad did. Well, I know without a doubt that dog would have the best home possible but........nevermind, I am not going to get thinking on it anymore. We should just let it go and know that it will enjoy a wonderful temporary home with Valerie up north. :)

Just to let you all know how silly this all was.... the dog is a cocker/pekingese mix, is 10 years old and only has one eye! Yes, we fell for an old one eyed dog we've never seen. Go figure! His name is Bogart and will be taken to Arlington, VA. His soon to be foster parent has affectionately dubbed him Bogie and he'll be looking for a home up there so any of you guys that might find a place in your hearts for him, look him up on petfinders! I dare you.. you'll lose your heart!

Okay, I don't think it was silly to get so emotional over a dog I've never seen but people have been laughing at me and poking fun because I want a one-eyed dog. Just wish they had responded to my first emails and he might be here right now.

I know there's been alot of "I's" and I was more emotionally involved than my mom but we live next door to each other, share a large back yard so we're like one big happy family here. Her's are mine, mine are hers, but I was hoping Bogart would be a part of it. So now I'm just rattling. Maybe I'm not quite over it just yet, but I will be. I will work on putting aside my selfishness and be happy Bogart has found a great foster home.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow, I really did rattle on, didn't I? So sorry!

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

That's wonderful news! and no it wasn't silly to get emotional over a one eyed dog. You tried to help and that in-it's-self is to be applauded.

• Nancy in Mich
    17 years ago

I was actively looking at rescue sites in September and October, thinking that I "should" resue an older female dog. Our two boy dogs are doing great, but their big sister died last January and a part of me kept saying that we had the space and money to save a dog who might not be wanted.

I first fell for Sadie, but the rescue said she almost never came to the adoption events. Then I fell for a cute little older yellow dog. We went to see her and told them we wanted her, filed out the appication online the night before seeing her and brought the hard copy with us when we went to see the dogs. After waiting several days to hear from the rescue, I emailed again and got the reply that the dog had been given to someone else.

I got myself all attached to another dog online, but after talking to her foster mom, decided that she would not work out for us. I promised to quit thinking about it and appreciate the fact that our two boy dogs were getting along better than ever. It worked for a few days, then I went "Petfinding" again and fell for a Brittany. Turns out she was already adopted by the time I filled out the application.

This alsmost cured me, but I fell for one more Brittany and was told that they would not adopt out of state unless all family members came to meet the dog in person. No way was Dad traveling (he is 90!), so this fell through. I still occasionally look, but try not to!

I think that the process of faling in love with your next dog is very similar to the feelings of "true love" that are the reason we read romance novels and watch love story movies. Even though we can guess the outcome before opening the book, we are attracted to love affairs full of facination for the unknown other, attention to only the positive aspects of the new love, and downplaying of any apparent faults. Roadblocks between the lovers only make the whole thing more interesting. I find myself imagining each dog I am interested in and how the relationships will be with each family member and the new dog. It is addictive. I can see why some people become "collectors" and have way more dogs than they can care for.

I wonder if sometimes the online rescue organizations and Petfinder are better at getting a person hooked up with the recue organization so that you are a "parent in waiting" the next time they get a dog that fits your bill. I wonder how old the listings are and how much time people give to removing the unavailable dogs. It seems that getting new dogs listed would be the main priority and that there may be delays in getting unavailable dogs off the lists.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's something to ponder over on your thoughts of romantic notions, whether it be a dog or a lover. There's some truth in that! I plan on staying away from petfinders or any shelters because of any vulnerabilities on my part. I shouldn't even see photos right now. :)

I would hate to think that any rescue or shelter group would purposely just fish for future parents. Maybe the bottom line is it's all for a greater cause? Or perhaps things like this come along to spur us into becoming involved in another capacity, or another animal. Maybe these disappointments just set the stage for another chapter in a different direction.

• beeanne
    17 years ago

Maybe just go to your local animal control. I know for a fact most will not advertise on petfinder because by the time the picture is taken, it's posted, the time is up and the dog is euthanized. They don't want calls from people wanting to adopt a dead dog. I've worked with rescues and had my own cat rescue for a while, but they can't save them all from the pounds. Neither of my dogs are from rescues. I found them while working for rescues. One was 2 hours away from the gas chamber, and the other was a day or two away from being euthanized. Neither had any health or temperment problems. The were just homeless. Moonie, maybe you are meant to just go out there and look at the dogs in your own dog pound.

• susanjn
    17 years ago

Moonie_57,

Am I understanding this right? You've given up the idea of adopting the dog just to save him a 4 hour car ride? A real home vs. an afternoon in the car? I don't really get it.

Susan

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey, beeane... this -was- my local shelter and he was advertised on petfinders. His profile was put on there the day before I saw it and as I said they never responded to either one of my emails. Right now, don't think I'll be searching for another dog. I wasn't searching for one then. That one just stole my heart for some unknown reason.

susanjn... not entirely, as of course I haven't posted every single thought and every single word of the conversation that went on between myself and the shelter and rescue group. Long story short, he was set to go to Arlington, VA and nothing was going to change that as he was already turned over to rescue. They weren't going to miss his chance of a ride north just to find out whether or not he and my mother's other dog would get along. As I had stated, we had never even seen the dog, didn't know anything about his personality.. basicly nothing. Any dog that would come into our families would have to be good with children as well as cats. Time just ran out before all these things could be established. There's too many unknown factors for the distance. I'm just glad he has found such a wonderful foster home. But, who knows what the future might bring?

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

Pekes are often dominant dogs, & the shelter might have had some insight that none of us here has.

& he may have been temperamental, & they wanted to get off the hook in case he bit someone:

A neighbor called me about 3 weeks ago, very excited, she had, as you say, "fallen in love" with a dog at a city-run shelter.

She & I went there, visited the dog (a precious American Bulldog), & she wanted the dog.

fenced yard, works from the house, good vet references, etc.

They wouldn't let her have the dog!

The city had decided that the dog might be a "Pit mix", & therefore they would not release her to an adoptor who did not live inside their city limits.

The logic escapes me, but it may be that they felt that they could exert some control over an in-city adoptor, which they would lose if she went outside the area.

Neighbor's upset, I'm exasperated, shelter people really wanted neighbor to have the dog but couldn't make an "executive decision" to circumvent their policies & suggested neighbor call back in 2 days, when their director would be in.

She called back & was told that her application had been "rejected".

just like that.

She finally got to speak with the receptionist whom she had met when we went for our visit & learned that the dog had been released to a rescue.

Releases to a rescue get the shelter off the liability hook:
    the shelter now has nothing to do with the dog, if it bites everybody in the world, the claimants or adoptor would have to make their claim against the rescue.

(& rescues usually have no monetarily valuable assets)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hmmm. I thought it was a good thing for this dog that a rescue group took him but it seems like susanjn thinks I gave up too easily. Now I'm second guessing myself. So much for that sense of peace I was feeling.

• beeanne
    17 years ago

Oh I see. Sorry I should have been reading closer. I'm glad the urgency is past and he is safe. Maybe you'll still get him if the foster person thinks he would be a good match after learning more about him.

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

Sounds like you're more frustrated with that rescuer. And for good reason. They can have a lot of frustrating policies and there's been stuff on the tv news showing that adopting from a rescuer is a lot like trying to get into college. It's terrible and my heart goes out to you & your mother.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

sylviatexas... my mom has a pekingese (her 4th in 50 years) and though i wouldn't call him dominating in an agressive way, he does have my mom wrapped, as they all have! He hasn't ever had any issues in the presence of other dogs, but it -is- a concern until you know for certain. Sorry about your neighbors disappointment. Is she actively looking for another dog?

beeane.. it all began with more of an empathy issue for the dog. His age and the one eye, being displaced and tossed in a shelter. The urgency is over as far as that goes.. he -is- out of the shelter. But it grew beyond just feeling badly for him. Thanks though. Never know what might come of it, huh?

Thanks, quirky. I was more frustrated by the shelter not answering my first two emails. I respect the rescuers position. At least what I know about it, anyway. I would like to learn more about rescue groups. All this has piqued my curiosity.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just an update on the one-eyed 10 y/o peke/cocker mix.

Got an email from his foster person and she says he is absolutely great and settling in fast. Apparently the shy, scared boy in the shelter has come out of his shell and gets along with her own cocker spaniel. She's thrilled with him and is hoping to get to keep him. I was really happy with her email because I think she "fell", too.

Happy ending, huh? :)

• beeanne
    17 years ago

LOL that depends on how you want to look at it. He sounds like he would have made a good pet for your mom, and another foster home bites the dust. :-) The object of fostering is to well....foster. It happens to the best of us. 3 of my cats were my fosters. :-)
    Glad the little guy is doing well. Thanks for update.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

beeanne, Yeah, he would have been great for my mom but....... well, I'm just counting on that happy ending and I just -know- the foster home is permanent. How many fosters over the years have you ended up keeping?

And to todancewithwolves... i did see the link you gave to shamus. Made me emotional so I didn't respond then. People that can treat animals like that should be shot! How lucky for shamus that you found him.

• share_oh
    17 years ago

Sylvia - that is so strange that the city would want to keep the possible "pit mix" within the city limits! Where I'm at the opposite is true. Our nearest big city has a ban on pitbulls so we are forced not to adopt any, including mixes, to anyone living in that city. Would your neighbor be able to contact the rescue he went to and possibly adopt him from there?

Moonie - you should definitely be happy with the happy ending! :) I'm sure there will be another dog down the road for you and your mom... I firmly believe everything happens for a reason and your next fur boy or girl is out there somewhere.

As for fostering, I've kept 2 foster dogs so far... I have the hardest time when I take in a single - a few puppies make me sad to give back when the time comes, but also a sense of relief - they are so much work! But even in keeping 2 (in the last year) I'll still take in more puppies and kittens - as long as there are more than 1!

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

share, I thought it was odd too, contorted logic at least.

She did wring the name & number of the shelter from them, called, & guess what, duh, the dog's already adopted.

I guess it's a good thing that they at least release pits & pit mixes to rescues, & that they will look at an adoptor inside their city limits where they can maybe have some control.

Maybe the adoption contract has language where the city can take the dog back if the adoptor doesn't take good care of it.

• kg44
    17 years ago

Oh, boy, can I relate to this!! I've also been looking at on petfinders. I had talked to this one lady via e-mail at length, have filled out the application first of the week, and still nothing. I had also seen a poster at my vet's office. This was local and I called and made arrangements for the lady to come to my home, bring the dog and see if we were "approved". Each time I'd get so excited about the dog coming over, but she called and rescheduled twice!!!!! The last time I told her I was just going to go to the shelter and see what they had. You would think they would jump all over anyone willing to take these dogs and give them good homes!!!!

We found one through our local shelter that is in a foster home. He is special needs as he is sight-impaired. He also has a horrible ear infection that has not cleared up. He is a pekingese and a very sweet and loving dog. My husband and I have an empty nest now, and my sister says I just need someone else to take care of! We already have 1 dog and 3 cats. I'm a little nervous about taking on this dog's health issues, but I think we can handle it.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

kg44 - so have you gotten the dog, started the process or just thinking it over? Let us know and tell us everything about him. :)

Bogart is still in Arlington, VA. The lady that is fostering him still wants to keep him but he will remain listed with the rescue group for a certain period before she can determine that he is actually hers. Weird process in my opinion.

• kg44
    17 years ago

Moonie, we pick Cowboy up this evening. I am excited, but nervous, too!!!! The main thing is whether he will get along with our dog now. I don't think it's going to be a problem, but you never know.

Cowboy was a stray and was picked up by the shelter. The foster mom said he is about 8 years old. His skin was black from infection, but is cleared up now--he has a beautiful coat. He can see about 6-8 inches in front of him, but has dry eye socket and has to have ointment in his eyes every day for that. She says that will not get worse.

His ear infection was so bad when they found him that his ears were practically closed. They thought he was deaf, but his earing has gotten better as the infection has cleared up some. You have to treat his ears 1-2x a day--that will be a challenge for me, since I have a weak stomach. Hopefully, hubby will do that part!!!