SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
law5115

Water Softener Info Help

law5115
13 years ago

I've been studying all the threads here, and info on the web. The Ecco water guy has been here. I've got an independent water quality report, and now I'm asking for advice. We're renovating in a small rural OK town. The water here is very hard. Our report says:

Calcium ppm 75.2

Magnesium 16.4

Iron 0

Hardness ppm 254.9=14.9

The Ecco guy gave us a price of slightly over $2000. for a softener (cabinet) and RO system. Filters for the RO $87./change. I asked about information on the system, including tank sizing etc, and all he would say was 48K grains, no one uses anything else, and refused to give any more information. I think he's gone.

Our problem is while there are only 2 of us, our business joins the home so we will be here 24/7, we only have a master bath, and a half bath, the master has a very large air tub, and the shower has a shower head, hand held shower, and 3 body sprays. We also are installing a 15" icemaker (24lbs/day i think) and of course the icemaker in the fridge. I don't like the taste of chlorinated water, so the plan is to install the RO under the island for drinking, ice, and some cooking.

We are very rural, so our water company choices are limited. I've called Culligan, but they have yet to arrive. We have an exceptional plumber. So with his help, is this a DIY project? I see lots of internet choices, but not a lot of information on sizing for icemakers and body sprays.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments (22)