SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
viktor_k

Question about water softener valve heads

Viktor_K
10 years ago

Short version:

Can I install a fleck 6500sxt valve on a tank that was sold with a whirlpool 40k cabinet softener?

Long Version:
Hello, I've been doing some reading and learning about all the different water softeners out there and have a question.

My water comes from a well, i don't have a detailed report of the quality of the water but I do know it has good amount of iron in it. Water tastes good, there's no high levels of arsenic or bacteria in it (had that tested).

Currently I have one of them whirlpool water softener cabinets and when we moved into this place I noticed that it wasn't doing very good, sometimes the water would stink.

So I opened it up and noticed that a mice has been living and doing all of its business under the plastic by the valve body.

Disgusted as I was, I emptied it all out, including the resin and then realized what I had done... I went to a local water filter place and got 1 cubit ft of resin (different color though, gold, instead of black that was in there), filled it up and assembled it.

It seemed to work, but now we get salty water every time it regens for about 10 minutes. Water quality kind of sucks sometimes too.

I've checked the drain, it seems to gush out when regenerating, i've messed with settings (although I'm clueless with some of those things). Still salty water.

So i'm thinking of replacing the whole thing. Then I thought, why not just replace the valve? Like with a fleck 6500sxt? its only about 300$, i just spend 150$ on new resin, the tank is clean, the controller is likely the issue with the whirlpool.

Anyway, is that possible? or are tanks all different sizes?

Is it worth it to send someone out to look at whirlpool?

Comments (8)