SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schwartzy18510

Fleck Water Softener Valve w/ Upflow, Variable Brine, Double Backwash?

schwartzy18510
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I am in the planning stages of my first water softener install. My wife and I do our best to be environmentally responsible, and struggled for some time with whether to install a salt-free descaling or conditioning system rather than a salt-based softening system due to both the water usage during regeneration as well as the salt brine discharge into the water table.

Ultimately, after exhaustively researching and reading user reviews for most if not all of the primary salt-free conditioning systems (including Clearwave, Eddy, EasyWater, Nuvo H2O, Evo Clear, Pelican, and Aquasana) we came to the conclusion that the extreme hardness of our water (21.8 gpg) likely precludes satisfactory results being achieved from most of these salt-free alternative conditioner systems.

To garner an idea of exactly how much environmental impact a salt-based softener would have for our situation, I spent what amounts to weeks sifting through innumerable forum posts, industry publications, and technical considerations in order to get a handle on determining appropriate salt-based softener size for our application.

After determining system size, I created several mock regeneration schedules based on our water content, water usage patterns, and intended salt efficiency. I then cross-referenced this data with technical specs from several models to calculate water efficiency and gallons per regeneration. Ultimately I was able to create what I believe to be a fairly accurate estimate of annual water and salt consumption.

Our estimated water and salt consumption (if correct) will be far below U.S. average for our household size. However, due to the aforementioned environmental considerations, the fact that I will be discharging regeneration wastewater into my septic tank, as well as the fact that I am an optimizer by nature (inefficiency keeps me up at night), I'm looking for a salt-based softener control valve which offers the following features, listed in order of importance, which enable higher brine and water efficiency:

1. Meter-based Regeneration
  2. Upflow Regeneration
  3. Variable / Proportional Regeneration (calculation of % of reserve consumed and automatic adjustment of brine level)
  4. Double Backwash (to counteract sediment content and channeling concerns)

The Fleck control valves appear to be highly recommended, with the 5600SXT garnering the most recommendations for mid-level residential use. I believe the 5600SXT would work well for my application, although it does not necessarily check all of the above boxes as I believe the standard unit is a downflow regen model with no variable regen or double backwash options.

I've read that the 5600SXT valve can be purchased in either upflow or downflow configuration, and can be converted to possess double backwash capability via a relatively cheap cam replacement. However, after perusing all available versions of the product manual, I see no reference to a variable regeneration option like that outlined above.

I did stumble upon a reference to another Fleck control valve, the 6700XTR, which offers upflow regeneration with variable brining, and is available in versions offering either single or double backwash. However, this model is not nearly as popular as the 5600SXT, and I can find little information or reviews on it online. Any information on this model would be helpful, including where I might be able to find it listed for sale.

I have also researched the Genesis brand valves, which at first blush appear to check all of the proverbial boxes. However, after consulting the product manuals I've found that Genesis has overly simplified the user programming to the point that I am concerned I would not be able to fine-tune my salt and water efficiency as needed for a high performing system. The Fleck 5600SXT programming provides the end user much more control, at the expense of bordering on the complex. For my situation, I far prefer the additional control offered by the Fleck rather than the simplification of the Genesis.

Is there any other Fleck control valve or valve version on the market currently which possesses the core requirements I've outlined above? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (14)