SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deannad_gw

My kitchen nightmare

deannad
12 years ago

I am posting mainly as a warning to others, but if you want to offer a little sympathy feel free :-).

I hired a highly recommended contractor to put granite countertops in my kitchen and a travertine backsplash. He bought the granite and I bought the travertine (he measured and gave me an amount).

The granite was going well until the last 3 pieces. There's a beautiful piece where the sink is cut out and 2 smaller pieces that flank the large piece. The 2 smaller pieces were cut against the grain of the large piece so that the very obvious black wavy lines go perpendicular. It's very obvious! At first I thought the piece was just laid there wrong, but I showed the granite guy (the contractor is out of town this week :-( ) and he said that whoever cut the pieces cut them wrong. He agreed that the right side should be replaced "he said IF he can find enough 'scrap'", but he thought the left side was fine since the cooktop covers most of it.

We told him that we wanted both replaced and he said he would "try". I know there are additional slabs at the granite yard, but he wants to replace from his scrap or he mentioned contacting the yard to find out who else might have some pieces from prior purchases. I was still recovering from all this drama and the next day the backsplash guy came. My husband was home - I went to work. For some reason this guy made the backsplash about a foot taller than the lower edge of the cabinets on all the wall without cabinets. This wasn't taken into account by the main contractor so now he needs more tile. This is the same guy who removed the prior backsplash so he knew how it was before. I didn't say that I hated it up so high but I do. He was stopping by the time I got home so I let that one go. It's not terrible, but I can't imagine why he made that decision on his own without calling me or asking my husband who was in the next room. Maybe because the segments were on mesh he thought he had to use the full segment?

Anyway...my warning to the rest of you. Watch these guys like a hawk!!! And I guess state all the assumptions you can think of up front. And most importantly...NEVER agree to work happening when the boss guy is out of town. I feel pretty sick about this whole thing.

Thanks for reading. It will be a looong time before we embark on another project.

Comments (8)