SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paigeysmom

Will my cabinet nightmare ever end?

paigeysmom
15 years ago

As many of you know I have been in an ongoing battle with my cabinet salesman/KD/the Godfather for weeks about my cabinet installation. The install that should have taken 2 days, then 4 has now been going on since July 22nd. Today was supposed to finally be the last day. He agreed to install my hardware (at his expense) even though I didn't buy it from him in order to make me happy. The Godfather came by this morning to make sure the installer knew what to do and to remind me that he really wants the remaining 10% due under the contract.

After he left I walked through the kitchen with the installer discussing where the hardware should go. We decided which cabinets needed knobs and which doors needed pulls.

I didn't bother to address the hood because the hood surround is designed to give the appearance of a mantel hood although it is composed of cabinet door fronts. The doors open to allow access to the hood components, but they appear to be panels from the outside. Unfortunately he used his own judgment and decided that we needed hardware on those door panels so that we could easily open them and use them for storage! Now I have knobs where they are not supposed to go. As soon as I pointed that out he said "Oops you're right--a mantel shouldn't have knobs." The only way to truly fix it would be to replace the doors, but the Godfather has so angered the Kraftmaid rep for our area that I don't think we can get any replacements at this point. If I have to contact Kraftmaid for replacements I certainly don't think I should have to pay for them. The only other option is to have him try to fill the holes and hope they won't show. Unfortunately we have 2 mantel pieces back to back so there are 4 unwanted holes that need to be filled. I am so exhausted by this process that I am too tired to get all worked up about this. I have confidence that we will find a way to fix it--but its just typical of the way this whole project has gone.

After I talked to the installer about this I walked out to my car to go to work. At the end of my driveway I could see what appeared to be a campaign sign. I thought that was odd because we hadn't agreed to place any signs in our yard yet. As I got to the end of the driveway I looked at the sign and saw that it was a sign for the KD's company. "Another beautiful kitchen designed by _______." AHHH! Is he kidding?! So after the Godfather left my house he decided to stick a sign in my yard advertising his services. Does he really think I want to recommend him or his company to my friends and neighbors?

Before all of the KDs on the forum start to beat on me and tell me that I'm being overly critical, I ask that you tell me if it seems reasonable to put a sign in someone's yard (when you know they are not satisfied with your work) without bothering to ask first? Whenever I see those signs I always think--these people are so thrilled with the work this contractor did that they want everyone to know who did it. That is not the case with us. In fact, I intend to voice my complaints about this company on Angie's list and anywhere else I can go to make sure other people don't end up in this same nightmare. I actually found the sign to be the ultimate joke. I couldn't stop laughing when I saw it and had to call my husband to tell him immediately. I left it there so that he could see it. I should be angry and insulted but mostly I find it completely hilarious. This is the perfect way to wrap up our difficult installation. He put an ad for his company in my yard at the same time that our cabinets were getting messed up by his installer! If I don't laugh I will surely cry.

Comments (21)